European Firearms Passport
If you wish to take weapons or ammunition into Member States of the European Union or States party to the Schengen Convention, you will need a European firearms pass.
If you are entitled to possess weapons or ammunition in categories A 1.2 to C and wish to take them with you into Member States of the European Union or into States party to the Schengen Convention, you need a European firearms pass.
Carrying means that you have the firearm or ammunition with you temporarily on a journey without giving up possession for use across the border.
You can have more than one firearm (up to ten) on the European Firearms Pass. Whether you need any further documents or permits in addition to the European Firearms Pass depends on the weapons legislation of the country to which you intend to take the weapons or ammunition.
Therefore, in addition to the European firearms pass, you will need the following for your journey
- your German weapons possession cards, in which your weapons are registered
- proof of the reason for your journey
- identity card or passport
- documents required according to the regulations of the country you are visiting.
- Copy of identity card or passport
- recent photograph measuring at least 45 millimetres by 35 millimetres in portrait format without borders; the face must be at least 20 millimetres of this; the background must be lighter than the facial area
- details of weapons and ammunition
- in case of representation: written power of attorney
A European firearms pass may be issued to you if you are
- are entitled under the Weapons Act to possess firearms or ammunition in categories A 1.2 to C and you wish to take these firearms or ammunition with you to another Member State.
§ 32 Absatz 2 und 6 Waffengesetz (WaffG)
You can obtain the European firearms pass as follows:
the following information is required from you:
- your name, surname, date and place of birth, place of residence, address and, in the case of companies, telephone or fax number, number, date of issue and issuing authority of your passport or identity card
- for firearms: Number and type, category or registered trademark of the manufacturer, model designation, calibre, manufacturing number, CIP firing mark, if applicable.
- for other weapons: number and type of weapons
- for ammunition: number and type, category in accordance with Directive 93/15/EEC, manufacturer's name or registered trade mark, calibre and, where appropriate, CIP ammunition proof mark;
- the European firearms pass is issued or sent to you
Responsible for the content
Ministry of the Interior of the State of NRW
Last update or date of publication