Private fireworks - granting an exemption

Only at the turn of the year (on 31.12 and 01.01) fireworks of category F2 (old name Class II) may be burned by private individuals over 18 years of age.

If private individuals, i.e. persons without a permit under Section 7 or Section 27 of the Explosives Act or certificate of competency under Section 20 of the Explosives Act, wish to burn fireworks of category F2 themselves at another time, this may be done by the competent Exceptionally, such private individuals shall be authorised for justified reasons. A reasoned event is considered by some administrations, for example, a Golden Wedding, a Round Birthday or another Anniversary. However, there is no legal right to grant this exemption.

Note: Even with such an exemption, private individuals may not use fireworks of category F3, F4, stage fireworks of category T2 or other pyrotechnic articles of category P2 (old classes III (medium fireworks), IV (large fireworks) or T (pyrotechnic objects for technical purposes, stage fireworks).

  • Identity card (as proof of age and place of residence)
  • further documents for the purpose of fireworks

The exemption permit may be subject to conditions (e.g. that the fire brigade or volunteer fire brigade must be present during the burning of the fireworks or that liability insurance must be proven). You can find out if and what conditions are attached to the permit from the municipal/city administration responsible for you

A separate platform has been developed for online application. On the so-called service platform you can submit your applications electronically and much more! You are welcome to get your own picture of the application in advance without registering in advance. Use the simulation to do this. In order to make full use of the online application process, you must first register with the online application procedure.

Online application procedure of the Single Point of Contact Hessen


You must have reached the age of 18 and there must be a reasonable reason to burn fireworks.

Section 24 (1) of the first Ordinance on explosives (1.SprengV)

You must submit the application in writing. Depending on the offer of the city or municipality, the form is available for download. If your city or municipality does not offer a form, you can submit the application informally. In this application, you should specify at least the event, the date and time of the event, and the venue.

Only after you have received an exemption can you purchase fireworks of category F2 (Class II) ("New Year's Eve Fireworks") from a fireworks dealer or in an online shop on the Internet.

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available