Car transport - permit

You would like to operate a rental car business? You can apply for the necessary permit at the transport authority responsible for you.

You require a permit for the commercial transportation of persons by rental car. You can apply for a permit at your local traffic authority in the city or district where you live.

  • Formal application (surname, first name of the applicant; place of residence and operation; in the case of natural persons, date of birth, place of birth; number of vehicles, type of vehicle, capacity of the vehicles to be used).
  • Service certificates or examination certificates (on professional qualification) of the applicant or the person appointed to run the business
  • Certificate of equity / additional certificate (form according to § 2 paragraph 2 number 2 / § 2 paragraph 3 of the Professional Access Ordinance for Road Passenger Transport -PBZugV), not older than 3 months
  • Certificate of no objection from the tax office, the municipality, the social insurance carrier and the employers' liability insurance association, not older than 3 months (from the company, the legal representative and the person appointed to manage the business / transport management)
  • Certificate of good conduct for submission to the authorities in accordance with Section 30 (5) of the German Federal Law on Civil and Professional Conduct (BZRG)
  • Extract from the Central Trade Register in accordance with Section 150 (5) GewO (in the case of companies)
  • Extract from the driving aptitude register (FAER)

General documents:

  • Vehicle list, if applicable rental vehicles with rental agreement or leasing list
  • Proof of liability insurance for rental vehicles including risk indicator (WKZ)
  • Business registration
  • Forms available: Yes
  • Written form required: Yes
  • Informal application possible: No
  • Personal appearance required: No
  • Online service available: No


  • The safety and efficiency of the business is guaranteed.
  • There are no facts indicating the unreliability of the applicant as an entrepreneur or the person appointed to manage the business.
  • The applicant as entrepreneur or the person appointed to manage the business is professionally suitable.
  • The applicant and the entrepreneurs appointed by him or her to perform transport services have their place of business or their branch office within the meaning of commercial law in Germany.
  • In the case of legal entities under public law, the requirements are deemed to have been met.

Related Links

  • § 49 Personenbeförderungsgesetz (PBefG)
  • § 2 Absatz 2 Nummer 1, 2, 3 Personenbeförderungsgesetz (PBefG)
  • Verordnung über den Betrieb von Kraftfahrunternehmen (BOKraft)
  • Berufszugangsverordnung für den Straßenpersonenverkehr (PBZugV)
  • Fahrzeugzulassungsverordnung (FZV)

Proceed as follows to obtain a permit for the commercial transportation of persons by rental car:

  • Submit a corresponding application to the transport authority responsible for you in the respective independent city or district and enclose all required documents with the application.
  • The authority will process your application.
  • You will receive a decision on the granting or re-granting of a rental car permit.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Digital Affairs and Transport (BMDV)

Last update or date of publication