Waffenherstellungserlaubnis Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

An application for a licence to manufacture, process or repair firearms or ammunition on a commercial basis or independently as part of a commercial enterprise must be submitted to the firearms authority responsible for the place of business. It may be restricted to certain types of firearms and ammunition. The permit is only issued to a natural person (sole proprietorship). In the case of legal entities, the responsible managing director or the individual personally liable partners each require a permit. If the firearms manufacturing business is to be operated by a deputy or if a person is to be entrusted with the management of a branch or a dependent branch, then a deputy permit must be applied for. The permit expires if the activity has not been commenced within one year of the permit being granted or has not been exercised for one year. The time limits may be extended for special reasons.

Identity card or passport Proof of professional qualification (for persons who manage the business, a branch or a dependent branch themselves) Business registration if the business is run by a craftsman: Proof of entry in the register of craftsmen Non-EU citizens: a residence permit entitling the holder to pursue self-employed gainful activity Proof of need for the granting of the firearms permit Proof of safe storage of weapons and ammunition by means of appropriate certificates or safety-related expert opinions

You are at least 18 years old. You have the required reliability. The required reliability requires above all that you have no criminal record. You have the personal suitability. The required personal suitability is not possessed, for example, by persons who are suspected of being legally incompetent, alcohol dependent or mentally ill. They have the necessary professional qualifications. You can obtain the required proof of specialist knowledge of the most important legal and firearms regulations, the type, construction and handling of common firearms and ammunition by taking an examination. The specialist knowledge is considered to be available if you fulfil the requirements for the registration of a gunsmith's business in the register of craftsmen. You demonstrate the need for the granting of a gun manufacturing permit. You wish to carry out gun manufacturing commercially or independently as part of a commercial enterprise. Substitutes must fulfil the same requirements as you. The permit may be refused if you are not a German citizen within the meaning of Article 116 of the Basic Law or if you have neither your habitual residence nor a commercial establishment in Germany.
You must apply for a firearms manufacturing licence in writing. The application, together with the required documents, must be submitted to the firearms authority responsible for the place of business. If you require a deputy during your absence, you must apply for a deputy permit for this person. As a rule, the applicant and the intended deputy must appear in person.

Responsible for the content
Bavarian State Ministry of the Interior, for Sport and Integration

Last update or date of publication