Set up legal support Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If a person is unable to manage his own affairs in the long term because of illness or disability, he needs a legal guardian to act on his or her and represent him. This can be a related person (spouse, child, friend) but also a volunteer helper or a professional supervisor. If the person concerned has not made a determination as to who should provide legal care for him or her in the event of an emergency, the care court (formerly the "guardianship court") must appoint a caregiver. If you would like to take care of your relatives yourself without the need for a judicial supervision procedure, your relative should give you a so-called preventive power of attorney in good time (i.e. in a state of business capacity). If the person or persons concerned are not in a position to apply for legal assistance, every third party may request in court that such assistance be established (relatives, social services, doctors). The care court decides on the type and scope of the care. It orders and dismisses the caregiver. In its decision, the court relies on its own immediate impression (judicial hearing), on a medical opinion and, if necessary, on a social report of the local care authority (central point of contact for all matters relating to legal assistance at the district office, in district-free cities with the city administration).

Related Links

No However, the suggestion should be made in writing.

The person or persons concerned are unable to manage their own affairs because of a physical, mental or mental disability or a mental illness.
Temporary arrangement The procedure described requires a comprehensive investigation by the court of care and takes a certain amount of time. However, action is often needed quickly. In a simplified procedure, the court may then appoint, dismiss or extend its duties by interim order. Such an urgent measure is only permitted under certain conditions. An injunction may not last more than one year. In particularly urgent cases (e.g. accommodation of the persons concerned), the care court itself can take the necessary measures as long as no carer has been appointed and is unable to fulfil their duties. See also the brochure "Care Law" (Hessian Ministry of Justice and Hessian Ministry of Social Affairs and Integration)

Related Links

Responsible for the content
Hessian Ministry of Justice

Last update or date of publication