Vehicle registration number: Short-term registration plate Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If you want to carry out a trial or transfer with an unregistered vehicle, you will need a short-term license plate for single use. Short-term indicators are assigned when the vehicle is known to the registration authorities, a valid main investigation (HU) / safety test (SP) is proven and the vehicle is specifically designated in the vehicle certificate. Trips without a main examination are possible in the following cases: up to a testing centre in the registration district which has issued the mark; return journeys as well. for the immediate repair of identified significant or minor defects in a nearest workshop in the registration district that issued the number plate or in an adjacent district and back. This does not apply to vehicles that have been classified as unsafe for traffic during the inspection. The short-term indicator is allocated for a maximum of 5 days. The expiration time is indicated on the indicator in a yellow box on the right edge.  After expiry of the validity of the short-term number plate, the vehicle may no longer be put into service on public roads. If you would like to use the short-term license plates for trips to another country, please clarify directly with the relevant foreign representation whether the German short-term license plate is accepted in your destination country. The application for a short-term registration plate must be submitted to the local registration authority of your main residence or to the registration authority responsible for the location of the vehicle. If an application form is necessary, you can obtain it in advance from the admissions authority and fill it out at home. Depending on the offer of your licensing authority, a download form or an online service is available via the Internet. You can have the license plates produced during application processing. The cost of the signs is not included in the fees. The number plates are stamped by the approval authority.

Electronic insurance confirmation (eVB) on motor vehicle liability insurance The date of the next main inspection and safety test, if the vehicle is subject to it, shall be indicated and demonstrated on request. Valid identity card or passport; in addition, an up-to-date registration certificate on presentation of the passport If you hire a third party, they will need a written authorisation from you. He must also present your identity document (in the original) to the licensing authority. He must be able to identify himself with his valid identity card/passport. Proof of need Vehicle registration certificate in the original For further information, please contact your local licensing authority.

Responsible for the content
Hessian Ministry of Economy, Energy, Transport and Regional Development

Last update or date of publication