Personalausweis, vorläufiger Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

Your identity card has been lost or has expired and you need a new one? Then you can apply for a temporary identity card.

With the temporary identity card you can, for example, bridge the time until a regular identity card is issued.

Your temporary identity card is valid for a maximum of 3 months.

You must return the old temporary or regular identity card when the new temporary identity card is issued to you.

You can apply for it at your Bürgeramt at your main place of residence. If you apply for the temporary identity card at another Bürgeramt, you need an important reason. Please clarify the recognition of your reason in advance with the authority you have chosen, for example by telephone. There is a surcharge of EUR 13.00 for lack of competence.

  • biometric passport photo: The photo must be
    • be up-to-date and
    • meet the requirements for photos for electronic ID cards.
  • If available and not yet validated: old identity card or passport or temporary identity card or children's passport (valid or already expired).
  • If no valid passport or identity card available: birth certificate, marriage certificate
  • for children under 16 years of age: if necessary, a declaration of consent from the custodial parent who is not present
    • in case of only one legal guardian additionally the proof of custody


You can apply for a temporary identity card if

  • you have German citizenship
  • are registered in Germany
  • do not have a valid identity card

you are applying for an identity card outside your main place of residence:

  • You must be able to show an important reason why you are not applying for the temporary identity card at the Bürgeramt at your main place of residence.
  • Exception: The temporary identity card cannot be applied for abroad.


Ausführliche Informationen über den Personalausweis und dessen Funktionalitäten erhalten Sie über das vom Bundesministerium des Innern, für Bau und Heimat bereitgestellte Informationsportal:


Related Links

  • § 3 Personalausweisgesetz (PAuswG)
  • §1 Abs. 2 Personalausweisgebührenverordnung (PAuswGebV)

You must apply for your temporary identity card in person at the Citizens' Registration Office. If you do not apply for your temporary identity card at your main place of residence, you need an important reason and a surcharge will be added to the fee. If you contact your chosen Bürgeramt beforehand, you can find out whether and to what extent the Bürgeramt recognises your reason.
You can apply for the temporary ID card and the new regular ID card at the same time.
The authority will issue the temporary identity card to you directly on the spot.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of the Interior, for Building and Home Affairs

Last update or date of publication