Personalausweis Ausstellung neu wegen Namensänderung bei Scheidung Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

You have divorced and then changed your family name? Then you must apply for a new identity card if you do not have a valid passport document with the new name.

Your identity card is invalid after a change of name. So if you have had your surname changed, for example after a divorce or the dissolution of a civil partnership, you must apply for a new identity card.
There is one exception: as long as you have a valid passport document, i.e. passport or temporary passport, with the new name, you do not have to apply for a new identity card.
The EU logo on the front of the ID card, which will be introduced from 2 August 2021, will not invalidate ID cards without this logo.
The period of validity depends on your age at the time of application:

  • under 24 years: Identity card is valid for 6 years.
  • 24 years and over: Identity card is valid for 10 years.

A temporary identity card is valid for a maximum of 3 months.
You can apply at your Bürgeramt at your main place of residence. Applications can be made at any other Bürgeramt if an important reason is given. There is a surcharge for lack of competence, which means that the costs of issuing the card increase.

  • old identity card or passport (with the old name) and, if available, valid passport (with the new name)
  • Divorce certificate
  • certificate of the name from the registry office
  • biometric passport photo: The photo must be
    • be up to date and
    • meet the photo requirements for electronic ID cards.

Related Links

  • Fotomustertafel


The obligation to apply for an identity card applies to you if you

  • have German citizenship
  • have reached the age of 16 and
  • are registered in Germany,
  • do not have a valid passport or provisional passport with the new name.

To apply outside your main place of residence:

  • You must be able to show an important reason why you are not applying for the identity card at the Bürgeramt at your main place of residence.


Ausführliche Informationen über den Personalausweis und dessen Funktionalitäten erhalten Sie über das vom Bundesministerium des Innern, für Bau und Heimat bereitgestellte Informationsportal:


Related Links

  • § 9 Personalausweisgesetz (PAuswG)
  • § 28 Abs. 1 Personalausweisgesetz (PAuswG)

You can apply for an identity card at the Bürgeramt in your place of residence, or at your main place of residence if you have more than one place of residence. You can also apply for your identity card at any other citizens' registration office. However, you must have an important reason for doing so. If you contact the Bürgeramt you have chosen beforehand, you can find out whether and to what extent the Bürgeramt recognises your reason.

  • Many Bürgerämter allow you to make an appointment online, by e-mail or by telephone. You can find out what options your Bürgeramt offers on its website, for example.
  • When you apply, your Bürgeramt will inform you when you can collect your identity card.
  • Your identity card is produced centrally by Bundesdruckerei GmbH in Berlin.
  • You can make an appointment to collect your identity card online, by e-mail or by telephone at many Bürgeramt offices. You can find out which options are offered by your local Bürgeramt, for example, on its website.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of the Interior, for Building and Home Affairs

Last update or date of publication