Personalausweis Ausstellung neu wegen Diebstahl Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

Have you had your identity card stolen? Then you must report this. In addition, you must apply for a new identity card if you are over 16 and do not have a valid passport document.

You can report the theft of your identity card to:

  • any identity card authority, usually the local citizens' registration office, or
  • any police station

You must also apply for a new identity card if you are over 16 and do not have a valid passport document, i.e. a passport or temporary passport. You can do this at the Bürgeramt at your main place of residence.
If you do not apply for your new identity card at your main residence, you need an important reason. In addition, a surcharge of EUR 13.00 will be added to the fee. If you contact your chosen Bürgeramt beforehand, you can find out whether and to what extent the Bürgeramt recognises your reason.

  • biometric passport photo: The photo must be
    • be up-to-date and
    • meet the requirements for photos for electronic ID cards.
  • if available and not yet cancelled: old passport or children's passport (valid or already expired)
  • if no valid passport or children's passport available: birth certificate or marriage certificate
  • if available: police report of loss
  • for children under 16 years of age: if necessary, a declaration of consent from the custodial parent who is not present
    • in case of only one legal guardian additionally the proof of custody

Related Links

  • Fotomustertafel


The obligation to apply for an identity card applies to you if you

  • have German citizenship
  • have reached the age of 16,
  • are registered in Germany
  • do not have a valid passport document, i.e. passport or temporary passport.

For the application outside your main residence:

  • You must be able to show an important reason why you are not applying for the identity card at the identity card authority that is responsible for your main place of residence.
  • Exception: The temporary identity card cannot be applied for abroad.


Ausführliche Informationen über den Personalausweis und dessen Funktionalitäten erhalten Sie über das vom Bundesministerium des Innern, für Bau und Heimat bereitgestellte Informationsportal:


Related Links

  • § 9 Personalausweisgesetz (PAuswG)
  • § 27 Abs. 1 Nummer 3 Personalausweisgesetz (PAuswG)

To apply for a new identity card after theft, proceed as follows:

  • Report the theft to an identity card authority, usually the citizens' registration office, or to the police. You can report the theft informally in writing or in person.
  • If you want to apply for a new identity card at the same time at the Bürgeramt, you must do this in person and bring the necessary documents with you.
  • When you apply, your Bürgeramt will inform you when you can collect your identity card.
  • Your identity card is produced centrally by Bundesdruckerei GmbH.
  • You can make an appointment to collect your identity card online, by e-mail or by telephone at many Bürgerämter. You can find out which options are offered by your local citizens' registration office, for example, on its website.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of the Interior, for Building and Home Affairs

Last update or date of publication