Move for family reasons (other family members) - Apply for a residence permit Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

Other family members of Germans and foreign nationals living in Germany may obtain a residence permit for family reasons in special hardship cases. This allows them to move to Germany and work here. Other family members are defined as relatives who are not Children Spouses or registered life partners. The residence permit is limited in time. You can have them extended on request. The permission of your stay depends on the length of stay of your family member already living in Germany. For more information on family reunification for children and spouses, see "Residence for family reasons (foreigners) - Apply for a residence permit" and "Follow-up for family reasons (Germans) - Apply for a residence permit".

Related Links

Proof of compliance with the passport and visa requirement Proof of a secure livelihood Proof that there is no reason for expulsion against you Proof that you do not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany in the case of re-entry to Germans in addition: proof of German nationality and habitual residence in Germany from the person to which you are moving in case of migration to non-Germans additionally: Proof of the residence permit of your family member already living in Germany Proof of sufficient housing Proof that there is a special case of hardship Note: Depending on the other requirements you need to meet, the competent authority may request additional documentation.

The conditions for the residence permit are: They meet the passport and visa requirements. For the passport obligation, it is sufficient if you have a replacement id. Your livelihood is guaranteed without using public funds. The livelihood is considered to be secured if you Income equal to the simple social assistance rule rate (e.g. EUR 364.00 for single people) plus Costs for accommodation and heating as well as any health insurance contributions. There is no reason for expulsion against you. Your stay does not endanger or affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany. in addition to german reunification: the person you are following has German nationality and usually resonates in Germany. in the event of a move to non-Germans: your family member, who already lives in Germany, has a Residence permit, Permission to permanent residence-EC or Residence permit and sufficient housing is available. There is a particular hardship case, e.g. because the family members living here are dependent on your life support because of their need for care. In addition, you must meet other requirements. These depend in part on the status of the family member already living in Germany. Inquire directly with the relevant authority. Attention: A residence permit for family reasons is excluded if you have a family relationship have forced or received only for the subsequent move to Germany. The family reunification of recognised asylum-seekers and foreigners who have protection under the Geneva Convention on Refugees is based on the second sentence of Section 29 (1) in conjunction with the first sentence of the Residence Act. In such cases, the condition of subsistence and the lack of an interest in expulsion (Section 5 (1) and 2 AufenthG) may be waived if a person receiving international protection receives a right within three months of recognition of the application for family reunification. The provision in Paragraph 29(2) second sentence of the AufenthG is based on the Family Reunification Directive. For foreigners who receive subsidiary protection status (Section 25 paragraph 2 sentence 1 second alternative AufenthG) after 17 March 2016, this family reunification scheme has been suspended for two years.

Foreign nationals in a family relationship with Germans are in most cases granted a residence permit after 3 years. Young foreign nationals who are grew up in Germany or have entered as part of the child's reunification, may also obtain a residence permit under simplified conditions. The reunification of family members of nationals of the EU/EEA countries is governed by the Free Movement Act/EU. This means: Family members of EU/EEA nationals who are themselves members of an EU or EEA country are free to enter and work. Family members of EU/EEA nationals who do not themselves belong to an EU or EEA country also have a right of entry and residence.
Before entering Germany, you must apply for a national visa in your home country. After entry, you must apply for a residence permit in writing with the immigration authority before your visa expires. Since 01.09.2011 you will receive the residence permit in the form of a cheque card with additional electronic functions. For more information, see "Apply for Electronic Residence Permits (eAT").. You must apply to the immigration authority in good time before the expiry of your residence permit.

Related Links

Responsible for the content
Hessian Ministry of the Interior and Sport

Last update or date of publication