Bestattungsgeld für Kriegsopfer beantragen Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

The funeral allowance is paid to anyone who has paid the costs of burying the deceased. It amounts to: for pension-entitled damaged persons: 874.00 Euro (as of 01.07.17: 891 Euro). 1,745.00 Euro, if the death is the result of an injury (from 01.07.17: 1,778 Euro) for non-pension-entitled injured persons: Euro 1,745.00 if death is the consequence of an injury (from 01.07.17: Euro 1.778) From the funeral allowance, the costs of the funeral are first paid to the person who arranged the funeral. This also applies if the costs of the funeral were covered from public funds. If there is a surplus, the spouse, civil partner, children, parents, step-parents, foster parents, grandchildren, grandparents, siblings and siblings' children are entitled in turn if they lived with the deceased in a domestic relationship at the time of death. If there are no such beneficiaries, the surplus shall not be paid out.

Death certificate Invoice for funeral costs

Application forms can be obtained from the relevant office.

You have paid the funeral expenses Death is always considered to be the result of an injury when an injured person dies from a condition that was legally recognised as the result of an injury and for which he or she was awarded a pension at the time of death.

Benefits to be granted on the basis of other statutory provisions (e.g. death benefits from health insurance or civil servants' pensions) shall be offset against the funeral allowance. If a person dies as a result of an injury outside his or her permanent place of residence, the necessary costs of transporting the body will be reimbursed. This does not apply if the death occurred during a stay abroad. In this case, however, you can apply for an allowance.
You can apply for funeral expenses at the competent office. If you are unable to visit the competent body (for health reasons, for example), send an informal application and enclose copies of the necessary documents.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs

Last update or date of publication