Neighbourhood complaints

A peaceful relationship between neighbours is a great asset that must be maintained and preserved. In daily coexistence, however, there may be nuisances and disturbances due to noise or odour emissions.

If you have any complaints, first talk to the people who cause the immissions. If you do not reach a solution through conversations and continue to feel unreasonably harassed, you can contact the relevant supervisory authorities.

Related Links

  • Lärm- oder Geruchsemissionen von Gewerbe- und Industrieanlagen - Beschwerde einreichen



In residential areas, you can mow, vertitulate, drill holes or put a chainsaw into operation on weekdays from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. A midday rest must only be observed if a corresponding municipal statute provides for this. This applies to pure, general or special residential areas as well as to recreation, spa and clinic areas. In mixed, commercial or industrial areas, there are no time restrictions during the day.

Deviating regulations are available for cutters, grass trimmers or grass edge cutters, leaf blowers or leaf collectors. These may only be operated in residential and spa/clinic areas on weekdays from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Further regulations on Sundayand holiday rest remain unaffected, i.e. the devices may not be used on these days.

Related Links

  • § 117 Gesetz über Ordnungswidrigkeiten (OWiG) (Unzulässiger Lärm)

If you have any complaints, please contact your local authority, and in acute cases you will contact the relevant police authority. If necessary, the authorities on the spot check whether noise, air pollution or odours significantly annoy the neighborhood and take the necessary measures (e.g. turning off a music system). Unnecessary and unreasonable harassment can be punished as an administrative offence with a fine.

Responsible for the content
Hessian Ministry of the Environment, Climate Protection, Agriculture and Consumer Protection

Last update or date of publication