Adoption of a foreign child - apply for a certificate Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

Would you like to adopt a child from abroad? Then you should clarify in advance the recognition of such an adoption in Germany. After the foreign adoption, the foreign birth certificate of your adopted child remains valid. As an adoptive parent, you can still apply for a declaration of birth in Germany. Note: If a German court decides on an adoption, the latter also makes the certificate. The same applies if a German family court converts a foreign adoption from a weak to a strong adoption.

all documents required for adoption in the country of origin Note: You need foreign documents with over-certification by the competent foreign authority (Apostille) or legalization by the German diplomatic mission abroad. (Further information can also be found under the service description "Apostille and Legalization (Certificates and Certifications)" in the Hessen-Finder.

You must apply to the registry office of your residence to register the birth of your foreign-born child. Here you can apply for a new birth certificate at the same time. The registry office enters the change in the civil status register. Note: The registry office, which provides for the registration of the birth of your child born abroad, automatically informs other registry offices.

Responsible for the content
Hessian Ministry of the Interior and Sport

Last update or date of publication