Corpse passport

A corpse passport is required to transfer a corpse to another country.

A corpse passport is also required for the transfer of a corpse from Hesse to other federal states if its legislation requires a corpse passport for the transport or burial of the corpse.

  • Death certificate or certificate of provision of certification
  • Leichenschauschein
  • Certificate of proper burial by the funeral company
  • Certificate from the funeral undertaking that the transport is carried out by a vehicle intended for the transport of corpses.
  • where applicable, written authorisation for the commissioned funeral company
  • in the case of evidence of a non-natural death or in the case of the corpse of an unknown person:
    Approval by the Public Prosecutor's Office or the District Court
  • medical certificate from the health board stating that there are no objections to the transport of the corpse, provided that the deceased has suffered from a reportable illness under the Infection Protection Act

Related Links

  • Hessisches Friedhofs- und Bestattungsgesetz (FBG)
  • Verwaltungskostenordnung für den Geschäftsbereich des Ministeriums des Innern und für Sport

The corpse passport must be requested by the relative responsible for the burial or by the funeral company responsible for transport.

Responsible for the content
Hessian Ministry of the Interior and Sport

Last update or date of publication