Apply for a blue card for the EU to pursue a high-skilled job Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

Highly qualified foreign nationals wishing to work in Germany that is commenative to their qualifications can obtain an EU Blue Card. Exception: EU nationals have access to the labour market because of their right to free movement. They may pursue self-employment or employment in Germany under the right of establishment or the free movement of workers. This also applies to other nationals of the European Economic Area (EEA) as well as to nationals of Switzerland. For nationals of EU Member States Bulgaria and Romania, transitional arrangements still exist on the free movement of workers and the freedom to provide services. You must obtain a work permit from the relevant employment agency before taking up employment. You can receive the EU Blue Card for a maximum of 4 years upon first grant. If your employment contract is less than 4 years old, you will receive the EU Blue Card for the duration of the employment contract plus 3 months. Attention: If you wish to change your job in the first 2 years after the EU Blue Card has been issued, you must obtain permission from the Immigration Department. EU Blue Card holders may obtain a residence permit if they: have been employed for at least 33 months, have paid contributions to the statutory pension scheme or to another pension scheme with comparable benefits for that period and meet the following other conditions: Your stay does not endanger or affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany. They are allowed to work and have all the necessary permits for this purpose. You have sufficient knowledge of German and basic knowledge of the German legal and social order. They have enough large living space for themselves and their family. Anyone who proves level B1 language skills and fulfils the other requirements can obtain a residence permit after 21 months of employment and contributions.

Proof of compliance with the passport and visa requirement Proof of the minimum salary Proof of your university degree Proof of job or job offer Proof that there is no reason for expulsion against you Proof that you do not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany

Requirements for the EU Blue Card are: They meet the passport and visa requirements. For the passport obligation, it is sufficient if you have a replacement id. You will receive an annual salary of at least 47,600.00 euros. Certain professions (natural scientists, mathematicians, engineers, doctors and IT specialists) have a minimum salary of EUR 37,128.00. There is no reason for expulsion against you. Your stay does not endanger or affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany. You have a German, a recognised foreign or foreign a foreign university degree comparable to a German university degree. The Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs may determine by law occupations in which a qualification demonstrated by at least 5 years of professional experience is equivalent to a university degree. You have a job corresponding to your qualifications or a specific job offer corresponding to your qualifications. The Federal Employment Agency agrees to issue the residence permit (only in cases where consent is required).
Before entering Germany, you must apply for a national visa in your home country. The representation of the Federal Republic of Germany is involved in the competent aliens authority. In the visa procedure, you must provide information about your job in Germany. This allows the authority to check whether the Federal Employment Agency has to approve employment. After entry, you must apply for a residence permit in writing with the immigration authority before your visa expires. Depending on the place of residence, the immigration office or the district office. Note: The Immigration Department obtains the approval of the Federal Employment Agency if this is required. Since 01.09.2011 you will receive the residence permit in the form of a cheque card with additional electronic functions. For more information, see "Apply for Electronic Residence Permits (eAT")..

Related Links

Responsible for the content
Hessian Ministry of the Interior and Sport

Last update or date of publication