Certificate of competency for explosive substances (commercial)

Supervisors, in particular heads of an operating department, explosives officers, plant managers, technical inspectors in the disposal of weapons and warehouse managers, as well as persons appointed to transport explosive substances to others or to receive such substances from others, may only carry out their duties as responsible persons if they have a certificate of official competence to handle and/or trade explosive substances in accordance with the Explosives Act. Have.

Holders of a certificate of competency and/or movement of explosive substances may only be natural persons.

  • Completed application form
  • valid identity card or passport
  • In order to verify the reliability of persons from another EU Member State, the applicant shall provide the applicant with a certificate in a certified translation from the competent judicial or administrative authority of his home or country of origin. certain facts which are relevant for the assessment of reliability (e.g. extract of criminal records). The certificate should not be older than 3 months. Moreover, only facts confirmed by the competent authority of the home country or country of origin may be regarded as proven.
  • Proof of professional knowledge (e.g. certificates of completed courses or evidence of professional activity).

A separate platform has been developed for online application. On the so-called service platform you can submit your applications electronically and much more! You are welcome to get your own picture of the application in advance without registering in advance. Use the simulation to do this. In order to make full use of the online application process, you must first register with the online application procedure.

Related Links

  • Online Antragsverfahren


In principle, you, as the applicant, will receive a certificate of competency and/or traffic in explosive substances under the Explosives Act if you:

  • Reliable
  • expert and
  • are personally suitable,
  • have reached the age of 21 and
  • German or EU nationals.


If you carry out one of the following activities within the scope of the permit, you are obliged to regularly participate in state-recognized repeat courses before the end of 5 years:

  • Execution of explosive works,
  • manufacture of explosive substances,
  • Activities in the disposal of weapons,
  • carriage of explosive substances in accordance with the regulations of dangerous goods,
  • burning of large fireworks,
  • Demonstration of effects in theatres or similar facilities containing pyrotechnic articles, pyrotechnic sets or other explosive substances.

Related Links

  • § 20 Sprengstoffgesetz (SprengG) (Befähigungsschein)

The certificate of competency and/or traffic with explosive substances under the Explosives Act is issued only on request.

The government offices make the application form available for download on your websites.

For the application, you must complete the form "Application for a certificate of competency in accordance with Section 20 of the Explosives Act" and, if applicable, the form "Supplement A" and hand it over to the competent authority in person. The required proof of expertise must be included in the original

Related Links

  • Regierungspräsidium Darmstadt, Sprengstoffe
  • Regierungspräsidium Gießen, Explosionsgefährliche Stoffe

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available