Apply for a stay for the purpose of employment Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

You are a foreign citizen and would like to work in Germany? Then you need a residence permit for the purpose of employment and previously in most cases a national visa to enter Germany. Exception: EU nationals have access to the labour market because of their right to free movement. They may pursue self-employment or employment in Germany under the right of establishment or the free movement of workers. This also applies to other nationals of the European Economic Area (EEA) as well as to nationals of Switzerland. Nationals of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, South Korea and the United States of America may obtain the required residence permit after entry. The foreigners' authority of the place where the foreigner will reside in Germany is responsible. The residence permit for the purpose of employment is limited in time. You can have them extended on request.

Related Links

Proof of compliance with the passport and visa requirement Proof of a secure livelihood Proof that you meet the factual and personal requirements for labour migration Proof of job or job offer Proof that there is no reason for expulsion against you Proof that you do not endanger or impair the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany

The conditions for the residence permit are: They meet the passport and visa requirements. For the passport obligation, it is sufficient if you have a replacement id. Your livelihood is guaranteed without using public funds. The livelihood is considered to be secured if you Income equal to the simple social assistance rule rate plus Costs for accommodation and heating as well as any health insurance contributions. There is no reason for expulsion against you. Your stay does not endanger or affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany. They meet the objective and personal requirements for labour migration. You have a job or a specific job offer. The Federal Employment Agency agrees to the issue of the residence permit. Note: You will only receive a residence permit if you have a specific job offer. Their admission depends on the requirements of Germany as a business location and the conditions on the labour market. In certain occupations or in the case of nationals of certain States, admission to employment is at the discretion of the Authority. In justified individual cases, authorisation may be granted where there is a public interest in employment. For both new arrivals and third-country nationals who are already resident or habitually resident in Germany, the approval of the Central Employment Agency of the Job Agency for the commencement of employment in Germany is Required. It shall be obtained by the competent aliens authority in an internal procedure. Therefore, only one application is required to the competent aliens authority. Consent is normally given if: legislation grants access to the German labour market, employment does not have a detrimental impact on the labour market, preferred workers (Germans, EU citizens, citizens of the EEA countries) are not available (so-called priority examination), foreigners are not employed at less favourable working conditions than comparable German workers. Consent may be subject to restrictions on the professional activity, the employer, the district of the Employment Agency, the situation and the distribution of working time, which can be taken from the residence permit. Under the new Integration Act, the priority examination will be suspended for a limited period of three years for asylum seekers and the patient, thus enabling work in temporary work. In order to avoid possible negative effects in regions with a tight labour market situation, the Länder should themselves determine in which employment agency districts the regulation comes into play.

Your husband or wife and children who are not yet of legal school have the right to family reunification. They may also work. Highly qualified persons may, in special cases, obtain a residence permit immediately after entry. If you wish to work independently, you can obtain a residence permit under certain conditions.
Before entering Germany, you must apply for a national visa in your home country. The representation of the Federal Republic of Germany is involved in the competent aliens authority. In the visa procedure, you must provide information about your job in Germany. This allows the authority to check whether the Federal Employment Agency has to approve employment. After entry, you must apply for a residence permit in writing with the immigration authority before your visa expires. Depending on the place of residence, the immigration office or the district office. Note: The Immigration Department obtains the approval of the Federal Employment Agency if this is required. Please note that you must submit an extension application to the immigration authority before the expiry of the residence permit. Since 01.09.2011 you will receive the residence permit in the form of a cheque card with additional electronic functions. For more information, see "Apply for Electronic Residence Permits (eAT")..

Related Links

Responsible for the content
Hessian Ministry of the Interior and Sport

Last update or date of publication