Rewriting foreign driving licences - non-EU/EEA Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

Driving licences lawfully acquired outside the EU/EEA entitle the holder to drive motor vehicles in the categories issued for a period of six months from the establishment of normal residence within the Federal Republic of Germany. If the foreign driving licence is limited in time, this entitlement is only valid until the expiry of the time limit. In order that you can continue to use your driving licence in the Federal Republic of Germany after the expiry of these periods, the foreign driving licence must be converted into a German driving licence.

Foreign driving licence with official translation (the driving licence must not have expired for more than 3 years), The translation is not required for driving licences from Switzerland. if necessary, proof of stays abroadProof of identity, (Presentation of a valid identity card or passport) 1 current photofor classes C, CE, C1, C1E, D, DE, D1 or D1E:, Certificate of a visual examination according to Annex 6 No. 2 to the Ordinance on driving licences according to the prescribed model (not older than 2 years at the time of application) Certificate of medical examination in accordance with Annex 5 to the Driving Licence Ordinance according to the prescribed model Certificate of a supplementary medical examination in accordance with Annex 5 No. 2 to the Driving Licence Ordinance. The certificates on the medical examinations may not be older than one year at the time of application. for categories AM, A1, A2, A, B, BE, L or T:, Vision test certificate of an optician. If the eye test is not passed, a certificate of an ophthalmological examination of the eyesight according to Annex 6 No. 1.2 of the Driving Licence Ordinance must be presented. not older than 2 years Proof of training in first aidName of the driving school with which the theoretical and practical driving test is to be taken

Due to the complexity of the matter, please contact the relevant driving licence authority.

More detailed information can be obtained from the driving licence authority.
The request must be made in person.