Name: Change of name for children - name assignment by a remarried parent and his or her spouse (naming in) Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

The parent who has parental care of an unmarried child, alone or with the other parent, and his or her spouse who is not the parent of the child, may give their married name to the child they have taken into their joint household. They may also prefix or add this name to the name held by the child at the time of the declaration.

  • Current extract from the birth register of the child
  • Proof of the child's admission to the joint household ,

    (you can obtain a household certificate from a BürgerServiceCenter at the Bürgeramt)

  • current extract from the marriage register of the declaring parent
  • Consent of the other parent if he or she shares parental custody with the declaring parent or if the child bears his or her name
  • Consent of the child, if he/she has reached the age of 5
  • Identity card or passport of the person making the declaration
  • Proof that no custody declaration was made, if applicable,

    (available at the responsible youth welfare office)


  • The child must be under age and unmarried.
  • The child must be in the common household.
  • The consent of the other parent may still be required.

  • § 1618 Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch (BGB)
  • Haushaltsbescheinigung beantragen

The relevant declarations must be made in person at the registry office.

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available