Name: Change of name for Aussiedler and naturalised persons Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

Names do not change as a result of admission to the Federal Republic and the acquisition of German citizenship. Each person continues to use his or her name in the form in which he or she received it under his or her original right of residence.

Names which have been acquired on the basis of foreign law may, however, be adapted in their spelling to the German law on names. Parts of names which are not known under German law may be deleted, e.g. patronymic.

Which names can be changed?

  • Parts of names
    This is not known by German law on names. They can therefore be filed.
    Example: Russian surnames

  • Original form of a name
    A family name is often modified according to gender or the relationship. Here the original form of the name can be assumed.
    Example: Bergerova in Berger

  • German form of the first name
    The German form of the first name can be assumed. If there is no such form of the first name, new (other) first names can be chosen.
    Examples: Piotr in Peter, Stjepan in Stefan

  • German form of the family name
    The German form of the family name can be assumed.
    Example: Miller in Müller, German in Hermann

  • Choice of a new married name
    If the spouses in the country of origin have chosen the name of one spouse as their married name, they can choose the name of the other spouse as their married name by means of a joint declaration.
  • Proper names/name chains
    If a person has several proper names which do not differ in first and family names, first and family names can be determined from them. If only one proper name is used, this can be declared as a first name or family name, whereby the missing name is then to be determined.
    Example: Omar Yussuf Mohammed (proper names) in Omar Yussuf (first names) and Mohammed (family name)

  • Proof of admission as a displaced person or late repatriate or the certificate of naturalisation
  • Birth certificate and marriage certificate, if applicable
  • Translation of the foreign language documents,

    (Certificates in Russian language must be translated according to ISO standard R 9)

  • Valid identity card or passport


  • Late repatriate or displaced status or German citizenship through naturalization.
  • No change of name may have been made yet.
  • Every person is entitled to make a declaration; in the case of declaration of a family name during an existing marriage, only a joint declaration is possible.

  • § 43 Personenstandsgesetz (PStG)

The relevant declarations must be made in person at the registry office.

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available