Name: Subsequent determination of a common married name after marriage abroad Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

The right to a name is regulated differently in each country.

If a name for the spouses is entered in the foreign marriage certificate, this is not always valid for German citizens. A consultation at the registry office is therefore recommended.

If you could not effectively determine a common married name at the time of the marriage abroad, this declaration can be obtained from us.

  • Current original of the marriage certificate (multilingual or with translation) with apostille and legalisation by the German embassy if necessary ,

    (please ask what is required)

  • Current birth certificates of the spouses
  • Birth certificates of the common children
  • if this is not your first marriage: marriage certificate of the premarital period and proof of the dissolution of the marriage (divorce decree or death certificate)
  • Valid identity card or passport


The birth and marriage certificates to be presented should not be older than six months.

  • ยง 41 Personenstandsgesetz (PStG)

The relevant declarations must be made in person at the registry office.

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available