Apply for settlement permit Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

As a rule, the settlement permit is to be issued if you:

  • have held a residence permit for five years,
  • you are self-supporting,
  • you have paid pension insurance contributions for a total of five years,
  • you have sufficient knowledge of the German language and basic knowledge of the legal and social order and living conditions in the Federal Republic.

Under certain legal conditions, the granting of a settlement permit is also possible earlier. This must be examined individually.

  • Health insurance certificate
  • valid passport
  • completed application form
  • 1 biometric passport photo (not older than 3 months),

    According to Bundesdruckerei's photo sample board:

  • Employment contract and payroll ,

    for the last three months

  • Proof of pension insurance contributions paid to date
  • Rental agreement ,

    current rent + service charges

  • Aufenthaltsgesetz (AufenthG)

If you assume that you meet the requirements for the granting of a settlement permit, you can apply for it at the Migration Office. For example, at your next appointment to extend your residence permit.

You can also send us a written request by e-mail to

The staff of the Migration Office will also check on their own initiative whether, as far as we know, the conditions for issuing a residence permit are met and will raise the issue when your residence permit is renewed.

If you are an employee of a Bremen university or its scientific institutions, please book an appointment at the bsu - bremen_service universität via the link below to apply for a settlement permit:

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available