Apply for a certificate of no impediment to marriage / Bremerhaven Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
With the certificate of no impediment to marriage, the issuing registry office certifies that there are no legal impediments under German law to the marriage of the two persons listed on the certificate of no impediment to marriage.
- valid identity card/passport/ID document
- Birth certificate (if born abroad) with German translation or as international certificate
- for foreign nationals: proof of marital status (certificate of family status),
Important: Foreign documents may have to be legalised or provided with an apostille by the German representation in the issuing country (information on this can be obtained from the registry office).
- current, certified copy of the birth register (at birth in Germany)
- Proof of prehensile strength and its dissolution
- Extended registration certificate from the competent authority of residence with proof of marital status and nationality
For this reason, documents of both fiancés are required. The registry office checks the marriage requirements of both fiancés. This check can take several weeks after receipt of all the necessary documents. You should therefore contact your registry office in good time before marrying abroad. At the moment, the average processing time is 6 weeks.
A certificate of marriageability only needs to be issued if the foreign state requires this. Information can be obtained from the respective diplomatic missions abroad.
The registry office in whose district the applicant resides or, in the case of residence abroad, in whose district the applicant last resided is responsible for issuing the certificate of marriageability.
Documents in a foreign language must be submitted with a complete translation prepared by a translator authorised in the Federal Republic of Germany.
for the foreign national:
- at birth abroad: birth certificate (with German translation or international certificate); at birth in Germany: current, certified extract from the birth register
- if applicable, proof of the dissolution of the premarital/departmental relationship (if applicable, certified copy from the family register)
- Registration or residence certificate issued by the competent registration office, also in case of residence abroad
- Proof of marital status (certificate of family status)
- valid proof of identification (e.g. valid passport/ID card)
If necessary, foreign documents must be legalised or provided with an apostille by the German representation in the issuing country (information on this can be obtained from the registry office).
for the German citizen:
- Current, certified extract from the birth register
- if applicable, proof of the dissolution of the premarital relationship/prehence (if applicable, certified copy from the family register of the last marriage, which is continued as a marriage entry)
- Registration certificate (if applicable, deregistration certificate in case of residence abroad)
- valid identity card or passport
- § 39 Personenstandsgesetz (PStG)
Responsible for the content
No information available
Last update or date of publication
No information available