Marriage: Post-certification of marriages abroad Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

A marriage contracted abroad is recognized here if the regulations applicable in the country of marriage have been observed and the marriage was contracted before a legally authorized person. Proof of this is basically the marriage certificate. If the certificate is not written in German, a translation is required in many cases. For documents from some countries, the document should be provided with an apostille or legalisation. You can obtain more detailed information about this by phone, in person or by e-mail.

In addition, you have the possibility to submit a declaration of name in marriage (see under "i Where can I find out more?").

You are not obliged to apply for the subsequent notarisation. However, the subsequent certification has advantages: You can have a marriage certificate issued by us at any time if your foreign certificate is lost and you have a German certificate as proof of your marriage, which makes dealing with authorities and other institutions easier.

  • Marriage certificate (marriage certificate),

    about the marriage concluded abroad, if necessary with authentication by the competent foreign authority (Apostille) or legalisation by the German mission abroad

  • valid identity card, passport or travel document
  • naturalisation certificate, nationality card, if applicable
  • at the birth of the married couple in Germany:,

    certified copies of birth registers from the registry offices of the places of birth

  • at the birth of the spouses abroad:,

    the birth certificates with authentication by the competent foreign authority (Apostille) or legalisation by the German mission abroad

  • Has a spouse ever been married before:,
    • a certified copy of the marriage register of the last marriage with a note on dissolution
    • as a substitute or in the case of previous marriages abroad: evidence of the closing and dissolution of all previous relationships - e.g. marriage certificates, death certificates, all divorce decrees (complete and with a note from the court stating when the judgment became final ("legal force note")
    • if applicable, recognition of the foreign divorce by the President of the Higher Regional Court
  • Had a spouse already established a registered civil partnership:,

    evidence of the establishment and dissolution of all civil partnerships

  • Translations of all documents in foreign languages by translators sworn in at home
  • further documentation,

    Additional documents may be required in individual cases.


A subsequent certification is possible in the following cases:

  • You married abroad and one of you both has the German nationality or is a stateless, homeless foreigner or foreign refugee or
  • You have married before an authorized person of a government of the state to which one of you belongs, but none of you had German citizenship at the time of the marriage, e.g. two Turkish citizens who married at the Turkish Consulate General.
  • One of them must have his residence in Bremen.


Notes/special features

Since 1 January 2009, certified copies from the family register are no longer issued - the registry office continues to keep the data from the family register as marriage entries.

If proof is required, marriage certificates can be requested.

If the marriage was contracted abroad, it can be applied for at the registry office of the home town that the marriage be subsequently recorded in the German marriage register.

  • § 34 Personenstandsgesetz (PStG)
  • Namensführung in der Ehe

  • The personal visit to the registry office of at least one spouse is required.
  • The necessary documents must be compiled during the visit.
  • The registrar will check whether it is possible to have the registration certified by a German registry office.
  • If the requirements are met, the entry in the marriage register can be made.
  • If necessary, the registry office will issue a marriage certificate after the registration has been made.

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available