Housing benefit - apply for a rent subsidy Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

In the case of the rent subsidy, the rent is subsidised without heating costs, hot water and electricity, plus the amount for relief from heating costs.

  • Copy of all documents
  • Rental contract at the time of the first application
  • Proof of payment of rent by the landlord, alternatively the last 3 bank statements
  • Last rent change letter
  • Notification of water and drainage charges
  • Service charge settlement
  • All proof of income of the household members in the last 12 months,

    e.g. certificate of earnings, tax-free income and capital gains

  • Notification of unemployment benefit I or II or notification of assistance with subsistence or basic support,

    for unemployed persons or persons receiving social assistance

  • Last tax assessment / last tax return, profit and loss account,

    for self-employed persons

  • School certificate ,

    for children over 16 years

  • Certificate of matriculation,

    among students

  • Severely disabled pass
  • Notification of receipt of care allowance,

    with existing severe disability


Rent is only eligible up to a certain maximum amount plus the amount to relieve heating costs.

Housing benefit is not payable to:

Recipients of the following social benefits if costs of accommodation have been taken into account when calculating the benefit:

  • Unemployment benefit II and social benefit
  • Benefits for trainees in accordance with § 27 Para. 3 of the Second Book of the Social Security Code
  • Transitional allowance and injury allowance, in each case to the amount of unemployment benefit II, also in the case of advances and advance payments on transitional allowance or injury allowance
  • Basic income support in old age and in the event of reduced earning capacity
  • Assistance towards subsistence
  • Supplementary assistance towards subsistence or other assistance in an inpatient institution which covers subsistence, in accordance with the Bundesversorgungsgesetz (Federal Supply Act) or in accordance with a law which declares this to be applicable
  • Benefits in special cases and basic benefits according to the Asylum Seekers' Benefits Act (Asylbewerberleistungsgesetz)
  • Child and youth welfare benefits if the household is exclusively home to recipients of these benefits

Are not entitled to housing benefit

  • Single trainees or students who are entitled on the merits to benefits for support under BAföG or SGB (http://bundesrecht.juris.de/bundesrecht/baf_g/gesamt.pdf) III . (http://bundesrecht.juris.de/bundesrecht/baf_g/gesamt.pdf)
    Exception: An entitlement to housing benefit exists if the benefits for the promotion of education are granted exclusively as a loan or if you live together with other household members who are not entitled to BAföG or vocational training allowance on the merits of the case.
  • Single persons who receive benefits according to the so-called MobiPro (promotion of vocational mobility of young people interested in training and unemployed young skilled workers from Europe) or if all household members are recipients of this benefit.


Housing allowance applications with short-time working allowance:
In order to avoid delays, the wage/salary certificate or other binding information on the amount and duration of the short-time working allowance must be enclosed with the application for housing allowance applications with short-time working allowance.
Please also submit the minimum supporting documents:

- Copy of the tenancy agreement
- Statement of income: at least one proof of monthly income and of special payments (holiday or Christmas bonus etc.) for other household members.
- Proof of the current amount of rent and payment of the last three months' rent (e.g. copies of bank statements)

  • Wohngeldgesetz (WoGG)
  • Wohngeldverordnung (WoGV)
  • Sozialgesetzbuch Erstes Buch (SGB I)
  • Sozialgesetzbuch Zweites Buch (SGB II)
  • Sozialgesetzbuch Zehntes Buch (SGB X)
  • Sozialgesetzbuch Zwölftes Buch - SGB XII
  • Asylbewerberleistungsgesetz
  • Wohngeldnovelle (mit Beispielwohngeldtabelle)

A written application must be made on the official form for the granting of housing benefit. The relevant documents can be submitted subsequently. Informally submitted applications are only effective within the deadline, a formal application must be submitted subsequently. The application and documents can be submitted in person, by post or scanned and sent by e-mail (do not forget to sign).

The approval period is usually twelve months. A new application for housing benefit may be submitted two months before the end of the grant period.

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available