Deregister your residence Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

Deregistration must take place,

  • when moving abroad, or
  • if a domestic dwelling (e.g. a secondary dwelling) is given up without moving into a new dwelling at the same time.

The deregistration is not necessary in the following cases:

  • Relocation within Germany
    In this case, registration in the new municipality is sufficient. The new municipality will inform the former municipality of the move.
  • Surrender of the previous main residence.
    Thus the secondary dwelling becomes the only dwelling.
  • If there are several secondary residences, one of the secondary residences becomes the new main residence. In this case, the registration office of the new main flat must be informed in writing of the change of the main flat within one week. The latter then notifies the registration office of the previous main residence and, if necessary, also that of the secondary residences.
  • Proof of identity,

    e.g. old or invalid identity card, valid (child) passport or birth certificate in the case of infants or young children who do not yet have a (child) passport or identity card.

  • Form: Deregistration with a registration office


Deregistration abroad

  • signed cancellation form
  • if personal visit:
    - proof of identity (identity card, passport or passport substitute)

Deregistration of a secondary residence without moving into another, new residence in Germany.

  • signed deregistration form
  • if personal visit:
    - proof of identity (identity card, passport or passport substitute)


  • An adult family member can deregister the entire family.
  • In the case of unmarried partners or shared flats, a separate deregistration form must be completed and signed by each person. If only one member of the household or another third person deregisters, this person must be authorised in writing.
  • Deregistration via the Internet is not possible.
  • A cancellation can be made by mail, a copy of the identity card is required.
  • The cancellation of the secondary residence can only be done at the main residence.

If you move to the rest of the Federal Republic of Germany, it is no longer necessary to deregister, as this is done automatically by registering with the registration office at the location of the new residence.

Important: This is a service provided by the local authorities. You can therefore only go to an office in your place of residence.


For further information, please call (0421) 361-88662.

  • Neues Melderecht ab 01.11.2015

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available