Apply for a child passport (extension) Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

Since 12.12.2005, no children's identity cards have been issued, only children's passports. The children's passports are machine-readable and offer increased protection against forgery.

Children's travel passes already issued remain valid until the end of their period of validity.

Please note when travelling to the USA:

  • Children require a visa in addition to the children's passport (see travel and security regulations of the German Foreign Office).
  • German citizens must also be in possession of an electronic entry permit for visa-free entry into the USA - in addition to a regular (machine-readable bordeaux red) passport - which can be applied for via the electronic travel authorization system of the United States Department of Homeland Security.
  • Proof of identity,

    e.g. old or invalid identity card, valid (child) passport or birth certificate in the case of infants or young children who do not yet have a (child) passport or identity card.

  • Declaration of consent by the person with custody ,

    as well as their identity cards (also copies) and, if applicable, proof of custody

  • in the case of a change of name, a document or certificate from the registry office
  • Important note: the children must always be present in person!
  • 1 current biometric passport photo according to the photo sample board,

    Recommendation: not older than three months


A photograph is required for each child's passport, regardless of the child's age. The photograph must show a frontal shot and must comply with the new special requirements for electronic passports. For age-related reasons, certain variations are permitted for infants and young children. Further information can be obtained from the BürgerService facilities of the Bürgeramt (in Bremerhaven the Bürgerbüros) .

Please note: The child must be present when applying for the passport!


Period of validity:

1 year or until the end of the 12th year of life at the latest.


  • Children 10 years and older must sign.
  • Each person will receive a separate passport and will not be entered in the parents' passport.

Further information under Tel.: (0421) 361-88660.

  • Fotomustertafel für ePass und neuen Personalausweis
  • Reise- und Sicherheitshinweise des Auswärtigen Amtes
  • elektronisches Reisegenehmigungssystem des Ministeriums für Innere Sicherheit der Vereinigten Staaten
  • Passbildschablone Kinder 6 bis 9 Jahre
  • Passbildschablone ab 10. Lebensjahr

  • The child must be present to apply for the passport!
  • Children from the age of 10 must sign their child passport themselves!
  • Information about the child's height and eye color must be provided with the application!
  • All legal guardians must agree to the issuance/renewal of the child's passport. This means that the application for a passport for children and young people of married parents must be signed by both parents. In case of joint appearance of the parents, they must be able to identify themselves by means of identity cards or passports. The application can also be submitted by only one parent if the consent of the other parent is confirmed in writing and there are no doubts as to the correctness of this statement. In this case, in addition to his or her own identity card/passport, the parent presenting the application must also present the identity card/passport of the parent who is not present and a written declaration of consent.
    In the case of parents (divorced, unmarried) who have joint parental responsibility and who are not only temporarily separated, only the parent with whom the unmarried minor child usually stays may apply for/extend the passport. In these cases, the consent of the other parent is not required if it can be assumed that he or she agrees to the child's habitual residence.
  • Children's passports are issued for 1 year. They can be extended (Attention! Expired children's passports cannot be extended!).
  • The period of validity is limited to the end of the child's 12th year at the latest.
  • In addition to the children's passport or passport, it is also possible (alternatively or additionally) to apply for the issue of an identity card for a child who has not yet reached the age of 16 (i.e. also for infants).

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available