Applying for a training grant under the Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG) Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
The aim of training assistance under the Federal Act on the Individual Promotion of Training (Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz - BAföG) is to give young people the opportunity to complete a school or university education that matches their abilities and interests, irrespective of their social and economic situation.
BAföG is generally granted for one year ("approval period"). The grant is awarded at the earliest at the beginning of the month of application, therefore the grant should be applied for in good time. The application processing takes up to a quarter of a year.
Training assistance is provided for attendance at
- Vocational schools and technical school classes, attendance of which does not require completed vocational training, provided they offer a vocational qualification in a course of education lasting at least two years.
- technical and specialized upper secondary school classes, attendance at which requires completion of vocational training
- Evening secondary schools and evening real schools in day form, postgraduate vocational schools, evening grammar schools (only for the last three school semesters before the final examination) and colleges
- Higher technical schools and academies
- secondary general schools from grade 10 (grammar schools, secondary modern schools, lower secondary schools)
- Vocational schools from grade 10 (including the basic vocational training year)
- technical colleges and technical upper secondary schools, attendance of which does not require completed vocational training
cannot be supported as a rule. Support is only possible if the trainee necessarily lives outside the parental home. The Office for the Promotion of Education will decide on any necessary accommodation away from home.
Training assistance is also granted for the completion of an internship that is required in connection with attendance at the above-mentioned training institutions and whose content is regulated in training regulations.
An entitlement to training assistance is also dependent on personal requirements such as age, aptitude and nationality.
In addition to German nationals, foreign trainees with a migration background can in principle also be supported under BAföG, provided they already have a long-term right of residence or have a permanent perspective of staying.
Whether the personal requirements are met in the individual case and justify an entitlement to training assistance can only be determined with binding effect by means of an application procedure.
When attending higher technical colleges, academies and universities, half of the amount is generally granted as an interest-free loan. In certain cases, however, the subsidy is granted in full as an interest-bearing bank loan under private law.
The amount of the education grant depends on the income and assets of the student as well as on the income of his/her spouse and parents.
For students whose parents live in Bremen, the Landesamt für Ausbildungsförderung in Bremen is responsible.
The State Office for the Promotion of Education in Bremen is also responsible for the promotion of an education in America - except for the USA and Canada.
Further comprehensive information on BAföG, in particular on the eligibility requirements, the forms to be filled out in the context of the application and the responsible offices for educational support can be found on the websites of the Studentenwerk and the Federal Ministry of Education and Research.
Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz Informationen zum BAföG des Bundesministeriums für Bildung und Forschung (Antragsformulare, Antragsassistent)
A written application must be submitted on the official forms.
With a personally authenticated DE-Mail address, a BAföG application can also be submitted online. A further written application is then no longer necessary. To the online application: https://bafoeg.bremen.de/intelliform/forms/bafoeg-hb/hb/eAntrag/index
Responsible for the content
No information available
Last update or date of publication
No information available