Insurance adviser; application for a licence

You are an insurance advisor if you advise clients on insurance on a professional basis without receiving a commission from an insurance company or being dependent on it in any other way. As an insurance advisor, you may not accept any benefits from insurance companies in connection with your work. You may not act simultaneously as an insurance agent or broker and as an insurance adviser.In addition, you advise or represent persons out of court in the event of an insurance claim in the assertion of claims arising from insurance contracts.The licence may be granted to a natural person or a legal entity. However, partnerships such as the Gesellschaft bürgerlichen Rechts (GbR) or the Offene Handelsgesellschaft (OHG) cannot obtain the permit. Every managing partner requires the permit.In addition to obtaining the permit, you must apply for entry in the intermediary register and obtain a register number. You can apply for entry in the register together with the permit. You must register your trade before commencing your activity.The permit may be restricted in terms of content and may be subject to conditions if, in the opinion of the authorities, this is necessary for the protection of the general public or the clients.If you are a citizen of the EU/EEA, have a permit or a trade as an insurance adviser in another country and only wish to work temporarily in Germany, you do not need a permit in Germany. However, you must notify the authorities in your home country of your intended activity.

The following documents are required:Copy of your valid identity card or passportPolice certificate of good conductInformation from the central business register for submission to an authority (for legal entities and their legal representatives)Information from the debtors' register of the central enforcement court (enforcement portal)Information on entries in the insolvency register as well as a declaration by the competent local court as to whether insolvency proceedings have been openedProof of expert knowledge:Certificate of passing an expert examinationAlternatively, a certificate of a profession recognised as a qualification (see further links) Proof of the existence of professional liability insurance (certificate from an insurance company licensed in Germany for submission to the IHK) in the original and not older than three months.Further documents may be required.In the case of partnerships (trading) companies, each managing partner must submit a completed application form and all documents.

The reliability required for the business operation, i.e. you have been convicted of a criminal offence in the last five years.Orderly financial circumstances, i.e. you are not in private insolvency or entered in the debtors' register.Professional liability insurance with a minimum coverage of 1,130,000.00 Euro for each insured event and 1,700,000.00 Euro for all insured events in one year in total.Expertise
In order to obtain a permit as an insurance advisor, you must submit a corresponding application together with the required documents to your competent Chamber of Industry and Commerce (IHK).If applicable, it is also possible to submit an online application.Together with the application for permission, you can already submit the application for entry in the register of intermediaries.The IHK examines on the basis your data and submitted documents whether you fulfill the conditions.After examination you receive the permission by postIf necessary, an online application is also possible.You may only take up your activity once the permit has been issued and you have been entered in the Register of Intermediaries. You must apply for entry in the register at the responsible Chamber of Industry and Commerce.

Responsible for the content
Deutscher Industrie- und Handelskammertag e.V.

Last update or date of publication