Childhood educator; application for permission to use the professional title with professional qualification from abroad
You can apply for state recognition as a childhood educator.
You have obtained a university degree abroad in the field of childhood education. You would like to have this degree recognised in Bavaria and receive state recognition as a childhood educator.
In Bavaria, you have a legal right to an individual assessment of whether you are entitled to use the above professional titles on the basis of your foreign degree.
The state recognition is a prerequisite for certain work activities, if this is required in the sense of the specialist requirement of the respective social security codes. This applies in particular to sovereign tasks and to activities based on directives which provide for this qualification.
State-recognised childhood educators are holders of professional secrets within the meaning of Section 203 of the Criminal Code.
State recognition may also be relevant for remuneration under collective bargaining agreements.
The recognition office for social and childhood educators checks the requirements for obtaining state recognition. The existing professional qualifications are presented positively. If there are substantial differences between your professional qualification and the study in Bavaria, it will be explained by which measures these can be compensated. After completion of the compensatory measures or if all prerequisites are immediately fulfilled, the recognition office issues the state recognition.
The employers decide on the one hand whether to fill the respective position only with an applicant with state recognition and on the other hand about the professional and personal suitability of the applicant.
Further information on the requirements, the examination procedure and data protection in the recognition procedure can be found in the information sheet (see under "Further links").
- You must submit the following documents:
- Proof of identity, e.g. identity card or passport
- Curriculum vitae in German
- Diploma certificate in the original language and in a certified German translation
- complete transcript of records showing the combination of subjects completed as well as all subjects studied with details of ECTS or hours in the original language and in a certified German translation
- If you have completed an internship of more than 600 hours: Proof of the specialized internship in the original language and in a certified German translation.
- Only if the profession in the field of childhood education is regulated in the country of training:
Proof of full professional authorisation in the country of training, e.g. by means of a state examination or an entry in a professional register or a specialist examination in the original language and in a certified German translation.
- In the case of professional experience in the field of childhood education: proof of professional activities in the field of childhood education, e.g. employer's reference, employment certificate, employment contract in the original language and in a certified German translation.
- If German is not the native language: Examination proof of knowledge of the German language at B2 level
The proof can also be submitted after the application has been submitted.
The following certificates are accepted:
- Goethe Institute - B2 Certificate
- TELC Certificate B2
- Test of German as a foreign language (TestDaF)
- German language test for university admission (DSH)
- other certificates in the original language and in certified German translation
In the case of all documents, it is usually sufficient to send simple copies of the documents when applying in paper form or, if you choose to apply online, a scan of these documents.
Antrag auf Feststellung der Berechtigung zum Führen der Berufsbezeichnung (staatliche Anerkennung)
- You have obtained a university degree in the field of childhood education abroad.
- In the country of training, you are entitled to exercise the corresponding profession in the field of childhood education.
- With regard to the skills and knowledge imparted there are no significant differences between your degree completed abroad and the corresponding course of study at a university in the Free State of Bavaria.
- Only suitable foreign degrees in the field of childhood education can lead to state recognition. It is not possible to convert degrees from other disciplines into this qualification.
- Knowledge of the Bavarian Education and Upbringing Plan (BayBEP), the Bavarian Guidelines for the Education and Upbringing of Children up to the End of Primary School (BayBL) as well as administrative and normative knowledge of the federal and state legal and institutional framework of facilities for the education, upbringing and care of children in Bavaria must be demonstrated. If such knowledge is lacking, it can be acquired in appropriate adaptation measures.
(Further information can be found under: "Further links" - "Bavarian Education and Childcare Plan (BayBEP)".
- Furthermore, German language skills of at least B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) are required.
(Further information can be found under: "Further links" - "Educational degree abroad - fact sheets and further information").
- Persons guilty of certain criminal offences are not eligible for state recognition. A list of the relevant criminal offences within the meaning of the Criminal Code (StGB) can be found in the information sheet (see "Further links").
- The payment of an advance on fees is a prerequisite for the examination of your documents.
- With the
Recognition guidesof the Zentrum Bayern Familie und Soziales (ZBFS) you can check whether you should apply for state recognition as a childhood pedagogue (see "further links").
It is possible to apply for a recognition grant at the "Zentrale Förderstelle Chemnitz". The application for the recognition grant is to be made before an application for professional recognition according to the Bavarian Social and Childhood Educators Act. (Information on this can be found under: "Further links" - "Recognition grant").
Translations must be done by interpreters or translators who are publicly appointed or sworn. They do not have to be publicly appointed or sworn in Germany; a translation by an interpreter or translator publicly appointed or sworn abroad is sufficient. A database of translators and interpreters sworn or certified in Germany can be found under "Further links" - "Bank of interpreters and translators".
A certification confirms that the copy corresponds to the original. Certifications can be obtained from the authority that issued the original document. In addition, the authorities of the Free State of Bavaria, the municipalities and associations of municipalities and other legal persons under public law subject to the supervision of the Free State of Bavaria as well as notaries are authorised to certify copies or to prepare certified copies. In order to save costs, it is not necessary to certify each individual page; evidence can also be certified in summary form.
Note for employers
The obligation of the respective appointing authority to check the professional and personal suitability of applicants for an assigned activity remains unaffected by the state recognition.
This applies in particular to the examination of reliability within the meaning of Art. 1 Para. 1 No. 2 or Art. 2 Para. 1 No. 2 Bavarian Social and Childhood Educators Act.
Claims based on a determination made in accordance with the provisions of the Bavarian Professional Qualification Determination Act and the Bavarian Social and Childhood Educators Act cannot be derived from this vis-à-vis the recognition body.
Art. 9 ff. Bayerisches Gesetz über die Feststellung der Gleichwertigkeit ausländischer Berufsqualifikationen (Bayerisches Berufsqualifikationsfeststellungsgesetz - BayBQFG)
Bayerisches Sozial- und Kindheitspädagogengesetz (BaySozKiPädG)
ZBFS - Anerkennungslotse
bfz - Anerkennungsberatung in Bayern
Pädagogischer Studienabschluss im Ausland - Merkblätter und weiterführende Informationen
Dolmetscher- und Übersetzerdatenbank
Bayerischer Bildungs- und Erziehungsplan (BayBEP)
Bayerische Leitlinien für die Bildung und Erziehung von Kindern bis zum Ende der Grundschulzeit
Bildung, Erziehung und Betreuung von Kindern in den ersten drei Lebensjahren
Bayerisches Kinderbildungs- und -betreuungsgesetz (BayKiBiG)
Start of proceedings
- The procedure begins with the receipt of an application.
- The recognition authority confirms receipt of the application within one month, checks receipt of the advance payment of EUR 150.00 and requests any missing documents.
- The recognition office examines the prerequisites for the granting of state recognition on the basis of the documents submitted.
- The main criteria are the skills and knowledge acquired in the course of the individual studies completed abroad.
- Other methods and sources of information may also be used by the recognition office (e.g. research in the country of education).
- If the documentation is not sufficient, further information or documentation may be requested from the applicant.
- A determination is made as to whether there are significant differences between the individual's degree and the qualifying studies in Bavaria. The existence of the other special requirements for the granting of state recognition will also be examined. Proven professional experience and further certificates of qualification are taken into account.
Completion of the procedure
After receipt of the complete documents and the advance payment, the recognition authority must decide on the application within three months by means of a notice.
The following outcomes are possible:
- No significant differences are found and all other special requirements are met: State recognition is granted and a corresponding certificate is issued.
- If there are no significant differences, but the special requirements for state recognition are not yet met:
State recognition is not yet granted. However, the equivalence of the professional qualification is established in a legally binding decision and it is explained by which compensatory measures the deficits for the state recognition can be compensated. You will be offered a corresponding adaptation course.
A separate certificate of equivalence will be issued upon request.
After successful completion of the adaptation course or passing of aptitude tests, state recognition is granted and a corresponding certificate is issued.
- There are substantial differences and the special requirements for state recognition are not met:
State recognition is not yet granted. A legally binding decision is issued stating which compensatory measures can be used to compensate for significant differences or deficits. You will be offered a corresponding adaptation course.
- After successful completion of the adaptation course or the passing of aptitude tests, state recognition is granted and a corresponding certificate is issued.
- If the course of study completed abroad does not qualify the applicant for comparable work as a qualifying course of study in the Free State of Bavaria, the application will be rejected.
- If the applicant does not fulfil his/her duty to cooperate and the facts cannot be clarified for this reason, the application will be rejected.
- If there are substantial differences between the foreign course of study completed and the corresponding course of study in Bavaria regulated by Land law, compensatory measures are necessary.
- The areas of study for which compensatory measures are necessary are determined by the recognition office by means of a decision. This entitles you to take part in the corresponding compensatory measures.
- Compensatory measures are offered as an adaptation course with a certificate of achievement or as an aptitude test. However, a missing work placement cannot be replaced by an aptitude test.
- You are entitled to advice on which teaching institutions offer the relevant compensatory measures.
- After completion of the adaptation course or after passing the aptitude test, you can submit a follow-up application for the granting of state recognition by presenting the acquired certificates of achievement.
Responsible for the content
Bayerisches Staatsministerium für Familie, Arbeit und Soziales (Bavarian State Ministry of Family Affairs, Labour and Social Affairs)
Last update or date of publication