Residence permit for the purpose of gainful employment Issued to qualified tolerated persons for the purpose of employment

Tolerated foreigners can obtain a residence permit to carry out employment if they meet certain conditions for this.

As a tolerated foreign person, you can obtain a residence permit to work if you have completed qualified vocational training or university studies in Germany. Qualified vocational training exists if you have completed vocational training in a state-recognised or similarly regulated training occupation. The duration of the training must have been at least two years.

If you have obtained your university degree abroad, you can obtain a residence permit if your foreign degree has been legally recognised in Germany or is comparable to a German university degree. The Central Office for Foreign Education is responsible for the recognition of foreign university degrees in Germany (see under "Further information"). In addition, it is required that you have been employed for two years without interruption with your foreign university degree. Employment is appropriate if it usually requires an academic degree and the knowledge acquired through higher education is needed, at least in part or indirectly. Shorter interruptions of employment, which should normally not exceed a total duration of three months, are harmless.

You can also obtain a residence permit if you have obtained your professional qualification abroad, have been in qualified employment without interruption for three years and have not relied on public funds (with the exception of benefits to cover the necessary costs of accommodation and heating) within the last year before applying for the residence permit for your subsistence and that of your family members or other household members. Aren't. Qualified employment exists when it is usually carried out by persons with skills, knowledge and abilities acquired in qualified vocational training or academic training. Shorter interruptions (up to three months) are usually harmless,

The residence permit is issued for a limited period of time for the duration of the employment. Holders of the training tonation permit are granted a residence permit for two years if they wish to pursue an employment equivalent to that acquired in vocational training.

  • Valid passport or passport replacement
  • Current biometric photo
  • Proof of completed training (e.B university degree, certificates of completed vocational training)
  • In the case of foreign university degrees: Notification of the recognition or comparability of the university degree, assessment of certificates by the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB), if available
  • Employment contract or the declaration of employment completed and signed by the employer (see under "Further information")
  • If applicable, proof of previous activities (e.B. employment references, employment contracts)
  • Proof of German language skills
  • Proof of securing livelihood (e.B. equity, blocked account, declaration of commitment)
  • Proof of your health insurance
  • Current registration certificate

In individual cases, the Foreigners' Registration Office may request further documents.

  • Online procedure possible in isolated cases
  • Written form required
  • Personal appearance required


  • You have a recognized and valid passport or passport replacement.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.
  • Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • You have in the Federal territory
    • completed qualified vocational training in a state-recognised or similarly regulated training occupation or university studies, or
    • with a recognised foreign university degree or a foreign university degree comparable to a German university degree, employment appropriate to their degree for at least two consecutive years, or
    • has been in unsuspentated employment for at least three years and has not been dependent on public funds within the last year, with the exception of benefits to cover the necessary costs of accommodation and heating.
  • You have sufficient knowledge of German (B1).
  • You can submit a specific job offer or a contract. The "Declaration on employment relationship" serves as proof of the concrete job offer.
  • You have sufficient living space for yourself and your family.
  • The Federal Employment Agency has agreed to the exercise of employment.
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your own resources without using public services.

Related Links

  • ยง 19 d Residence Act
  • Portal of the Federal Government for skilled workers from abroad

  • Central Office for Foreign Education:

  • Declaration of employment relationship;

The procedure is as follows:

  • Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eATCard).
  • In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office if necessary. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eATKarte to be produced.
  • After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT Card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
  • The eATKarte must always be collected in person.

Responsible for the content
Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs of the State of Brandenburg

Last update or date of publication