Residence permit for the purpose of gainful employment Issuance to look for a job after research activity

As a researcher, you have a legal right to obtain a residence permit to look for a job. The residence permit will be granted to you for a maximum of 9 months in direct connection with your previous research activities. This makes it possible to find a job appropriate to your qualifications. The aim of the search may also be to become self-employed. This residence permit allows unrestricted employment.

- Valid National Pass - Proof of secured subsistence (e.g. employment contract and pay slips, bank statements, submission of a declaration of commitment by third parties) - Proof of health insurance - Proof of qualification (certificate, certificate or certificate of your university of successful completion of a degree - 1 current biometric photo - Please ask the immigration authority responsible for you if you need to submit further documents

- Forms: none - Online procedure possible: no - Written form required: no - Personal appearance required: yes

You have carried out a research activity in Germany, completed it and obtained a valid residence permit for the purpose of research (Section 18d or Section 18e AufenthG). Other general conditions for granting a residence permit are: - a secure livelihood, - a clear identity, - Possession of a valid national passport.
The legal basis, Section 20 (3) No. 2 Of law on the residence, employment and integration of foreigners in the federal territory (AufenthG), can be found on the Internet on the following page.

Information for professionals from abroad can be found in the federal government's portal The legal basis can be found on the Laws page on the Internet

You can only apply for a residence permit in person with the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence. - You present the required documents in the original and pay the application fee. - The aliens' authority shall check whether the conditions for grant are met. - If all requirements are met, the immigration authority will take your biometric data (photo, fingerprints) and order the electronic residence permit (eAT) from Bundesdruckerei GmbH. - As soon as the eAT is completed, it will be handed over to you by the immigration authority.