Consent of the father to the adoption of a child

In order for a child to be released for adoption, the consent of both parents is required. This consent can normally only be given eight weeks after the birth of the child. If the mother is not married, if you as a father are not entitled to custody, you can give consent to adoption before the child is born. This consent must be notarised. Consent to adoption cannot be certified by a youth welfare office. In addition, the father can make a statement that he will not apply for parental care for the child. This declaration, which complements the consent, must be certified "publicly". "Public" means that the declaration can also be notarized. However, the declaration can also be certified, for example (in this case free of charge) with a youth office. Both when obtaining consent to an adoption and when the waiver is issued, you will be informed of the legal consequences and effects of the certificate prior to the certificate.

Proof of identity (identity card, passport or similar document) Proof of paternity (birth certificate of the child, either with the entry of the father or declaration of recognition of the father plus confirmation of the mother about paternity)


You must be the father of the child. If paternity has not yet been legally established, you must be able to make credible the father of the child. For example, the mother might confirm that only you are eligible as the child's father.

Consent to adoption must be notarized (i.e. by a notary). The waiver must be certified publicly. This is also possible in a notary's office, but also, for example, in a youth office.
You must prove that you are the child's father. Proof can be provided by a birth certificate of the child in which you are registered as a father. If the child has not yet been born, you must demonstrate that you are the father of the child (see prerequisites). The same applies if your paternity has not yet been legally established after the birth of the child. The person who accepts the document will inform you of the legal effect of the document. An appointment is required for the registration at the Youth Office. The document is then sent to the Family Court. The consent or waiver will take effect as soon as the certificate has been received by the family court. Both consent and renunciation are irrevocable. This means that even if you change your mind, you cannot resign from the certified declarations.

Responsible for the content
Senator for Social Affairs, Youth, Integration and Sport of the Free Hanseatic City of Bremen

Last update or date of publication