Declaration by the adoption applicants that they are ready to adopt the child proposed to them. Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If you are interested in adopting a child from abroad and you may be offered a child for adoption, you will be asked by the international agency to make a statement that you are ready to adopt that child. A specific form is required for this declaration. The declaration must be "publicly certified". This certificate can be carried out in a notary's office or in a youth office. The registration in the Youth Office is free of charge. There are costs for the certificate in a notary's office. If you agree to adopt your proposed child, you are required to reimburse various public benefits granted to the child. This obligation is for a maximum of six years and ends with the adoption of the child. There is no obligation to reimburse the child for benefits provided to the child if the child is already living in your household but has not yet been adopted. In these cases, you only have to pay a cost contribution to the extent that parents would have to. The same applies to benefits that would have to be granted if the child were already living in your household.

The identity must be proven for the purposes of the registration. You must therefore be able to identify yourself with an identity card, passport or similar documents.


As part of the adoption procedure, the international agency must have asked you to make a declaration in accordance with Section 7 (1) of the AdÜbAG and you must be prepared to adopt a proposed child.

The declaration of willingness to adopt a child must be publicly certified. This is possible in a notary's office and in a youth office.
If the international agency has asked you to make a statement in accordance with Section 7 (1) of the AdÜbAG and you are prepared to adopt the proposed child, please contact the place where you wish to have the certificate made. It is best if an appointment is agreed with the body to receive the certificate. Before the certificate is certified, the person who receives the certificate informs about the legal consequences of the certificate. As a rule, the registration can be carried out immediately. The document is sent to the international agency.

Responsible for the content
Senator for Social Affairs, Youth, Integration and Sport of the Free Hanseatic City of Bremen

Last update or date of publication