View employment of animal welfare officers
Animal welfare officers of your institution or company report you to the State Office for Occupational Safety, Consumer Protection and Health (LAVG).
You must appoint one or more animal welfare officers if you work in your establishment or holding with vertebrates or cephalopods intended to:
- be used in animal testing, or
- whose organs or tissues are intended to be used for scientific purposes.
The order must be made before the start of the activities. You can display the order to the LAVG.
Documents on the position of the animal welfare officer and his or her powers (e.g. by means of a statute, internal instruction or similar; in German)
Forms: none (informal)
Online procedure possible: no
Written form required: yes
Personal appearance required: no
- Only persons with a university degree in veterinary medicine can be appointed as animal welfare officers.
- Animal welfare officers shall have the knowledge, skills and reliability necessary for the performance of their duties.
The LAVG may grant exemptions from the qualification as a veterinarian if the necessary knowledge and skills have been demonstrated.
§§ 7 and 10 animal welfare law (TierSchG); § 5 Animal Welfare Laboratory Animal Ordinance (TierSchVersV)
§ 5 Animal Welfare Laboratory Animal Ordinance (TierSchVersV)
Website of the LAVG
Before starting the activities with or on animals, indicate the appointment of an animal welfare officer in writing (informally):
- Make an informal letter and add the necessary evidence.
- Submit the advertisement together with the supporting documents to the LAVG.
Responsible for the content
Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Integration and Consumer Protection
Last update or date of publication