Residence permit for international, humanitarian or political reasons Extension for exceptional hardship cases

Extension of the residence permit due to the existence of exceptional hardship.

You are in possession of a residence permit due to the existence of exceptional hardship. The circumstances giving rise to hardship continue to exist. Then this residence permit can be extended if, due to special circumstances of the individual case, leaving the Federal territory would continue to mean an extraordinary hardship for you.

In addition, the reasons justifying an obstacle to departure and the other reasons preventing the termination of the stay must not have ceased to exist.

The general conditions for granting a residence permit must continue to be met (in particular livelihood security, clarified identity, no interest in expulsion), unless the Foreigners' Registration Office refrains from doing so at its discretion.

The extension of the residence permit still does not entitle you to work. It can only be permitted on application by the Foreigners' Registration Office.

A residence requirement may continue to be imposed on them.

You are entitled to social benefits (basic security for jobseekers according to SGB II or basic security in old age or in the event of disability according to SGB XII) and child benefit.

Family reunification is excluded.

You are not entitled to participate in an integration course. You can only be admitted to participate within the framework of available course places.

  • Previous residence permit
  • current biometric photo
  • Proof of identity, if available, e.B passport, ID card, birth certificate, marriage certificate; Citizenship card
  • Proof of your health insurance
  • Lease

Get from your local immigration authority

Online procedure possible: no

Personal appearance required: yes


  • The residence permit will be extended if the conditions that must be met when it was first issued continue to be met.
  • Existence of an application for renewal
  • no grounds for refusal
  • no entry or residence ban

§ 25b Abs. 1 i.V.m. § 8 AufenthG

Related Links

  • Residence Act
  • Residence Ordinance

As a rule, you must apply for the extension of your residence permit in person - early before the expiry of the validity of your residence permit - at your competent immigration authority.

Make an appointment with the local immigration authority. You can also find out on the respective website of the Ausländerbörde about the application process and which documents you have to submit in which form.

If you have submitted an application for an extension in due time (before the expiry of the validity of your residence permit), your previous stay is considered permitted until the decision of the Foreigners' Registration Office.

If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office instructs Bundesdruckerei to produce the electronic residence permit (eAT) with a new validity date

With regard to the duration of the procedure until the residence permit is handed over, please contact the competent immigration authority

Responsible for the content
Saxon State Ministry of the Interior

Last update or date of publication