Residence permit granted to refugees for international, humanitarian or political reasons
Issuance of a residence permit with recognised refugee protection.
If you have been granted refugee protection by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees, apply for a residence permit at the immigration authority responsible for you.
You must be granted a residence permit (legal entitlement) if you have been indisputably recognised by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees as a foreign refugee within the meaning of the Convention of 28 July 1951 on the Status of Refugees (so-called Convention Refugee). However, you may not be granted a residence permit if you have been expelled on the basis of a particularly serious interest in expulsion (e.B. conviction for an intentional criminal offence to a prison sentence or juvenile sentence of at least two years).
Until the residence permit is issued, your stay is considered permitted by law.
The residence permit entitles you to work.
The residence permit is issued for three years and can then be extended.
They are subject to a residence requirement for three years for the federal state in which they were assigned to carry out the asylum procedure. The residence regulation does not apply or can be repealed if you, your spouse, registered partner or a minor child are employed for social security contributions with at least 15 hours per week and a minimum income that is above the monthly average requirement according to SGB (currently 723 euros), or vocational training or studies. Employment must also be sustainable. This is assumed if your employment relationship is expected to last for more than three months.
You are entitled to social benefits (basic security for jobseekers or basic security in old age or in the event of reduced earning capacity), child benefit, parental allowance and educational support
Family reunification for your spouse or minor children is possible. Within the scope of its discretion, the Foreigners' Registration Office may issue a residence permit to the spouse or minor child of a recognised refugee who is joining the country despite the lack of livelihood and sufficient housing. If the application for family reunification is submitted within three months of the issue of the residence permit and it is not possible to establish a family partnership in a third country, there is a legal right to the grant.
You are entitled to participate in the integration course. When the residence permit is issued, the Foreigners' Registration Office also determines ex officio whether there is a right to participate in an integration course. If this is the case, it will issue you with a certificate of eligibility. At the same time, you will also receive a list of course providers in your area, where you can register by presenting your authorization certificate.
A settlement permit must be granted to you if you
- have had a residence permit for five years,
- if the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) has notified that the conditions for revocation or withdrawal are met,
- have sufficient knowledge of the German language (level A 2),
- the livelihood for yourself and your family (community of need) predominantly (at least 51%) from their own income.
- your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany,
- be allowed to pursue an economic activity and have all the necessary permits,
- you have a basic knowledge of the legal and social order and living conditions in Germany,
- have sufficient living space for yourself and your family.
Can you make a living for yourself and your family for the most part (at least 75%) if you secure and master the German language (corresponds to level C 1) from your own income, you must already be granted the settlement permit if you have been in possession of a residence permit for three years.
- Decision of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees on recognition as a refugee under the Geneva Refugee Convention
- current biometric photo
- Proof of identity, if available, e.B passport, ID card, birth certificate, marriage certificate, citizenship card
Get from your local immigration authority
Online procedure possible: no
Personal appearance required: yes
- A prerequisite for the issuance of the residence permit is the definitive determination of refugee status by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees
- Existence of an application for a residence permit
- There must be no grounds for refusal.
§ 25 sec. 2 sentence 1 1. AufenthG
§ 3 Abs. 1 AsylG
§ 12a AufenthG
§ 9 AufenthG
§ 26 AufenthG
§ 48 AufenthV
§ 52 Abs. 3 AufenthV
§ 29 Abs. 2 AufenhtG
§ 44 AufenthG
§ 78 AufenthG
§ 78a AufenthG
As a rule, you must apply for your residence permit in person.
- Make an appointment with the local immigration authority. You can also find out on the respective website of the Ausländerbörde about the application process and which documents you have to submit in which form.
- During your appointment, your fingerprints will be taken.
If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office instructs Bundesdruckerei to produce the electronic residence permit. The residence permit has the form of a credit card with additional electronic functions.
With regard to the duration of the procedure until the residence permit is handed over, please contact the competent immigration authority.
Responsible for the content
Saxon State Ministry of the Interior
Last update or date of publication