Equivalence of certificates of late emigrants according to BVFG recognition

You are a late emigrant and would like to have your professional qualification recognised? Find out more here.

As a late emigrant, you are entitled to a recognition procedure for your educational qualifications. It checks whether your financial statements are comparable to a German degree.

They can have both school, university and vocational qualifications recognised.

You can compare your vocational qualification with any profession that exists or no longer exists in Germany.

Your professional experience is usually not taken into account.

  • Proof of recognition as a late emigrant
  • Proof of your degree (school, university or vocational qualification)

An informal request suffices.


  • You are a late emigrant or a late emigrant
  • You have obtained your degree in a resettlement area


If you have lost qualifications for your profession, they can be reissued.

You can also go through the equivalence procedure under the Federal Qualifications Assessment Act (BQFG). This is possible for 600 professions regulated by a federal law. You can find out exactly which professions this applies on the website of the Federal Government (BQ-Portal).

If your professional qualification is a pedagogical or educational profession and you intend to: You can, as an alternative, go through the procedure in accordance with Section 8 of the Brandenburg Social Professions Act (BbgSozBerG) for the recognition of foreign professional qualifications in conjunction with Sections 9 to 13 of the Brandenburg Professional Qualifications Act (BbgSozBerG) as an alternative to the procedure referred to in Section 10 of the BVFG. To do this, you must submit an application to the appropriate competent authority.

Information on the competent authorities can be found on the homepage of the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport of the Land of Brandenburg under the tab: "Competent authorities for the granting of state recognition, equality and the determination of equivalence" .


  • BQ-Portal

Related Links

  • Section 10 Federal Persons of Displaced Persons Act (BVFG)

To have your degree obtained abroad reviewed, you must submit an application. You will address this to the responsible body. The body responsible for you depends on the following factors:

  • your foreign degree,
  • your place of residence or work,

The competent body compares your degree acquired abroad with the German reference financial statements. If no significant differences are found in this comparison, you will be certified as having complete equivalence.

"Regulated" means that you need recognition of your professional qualifications in order to be able to pursue the profession or to hold the professional title.

In occupations for which you do not necessarily need recognition (non-regulated), you will receive a communication detailing the differences identified. This allows you to apply directly to employers or to choose an individually suitable training course.

The recognition procedure ends with either a positive or a negative decision.

Partial recognition is not foreseen.

Responsible for the content
Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport of the Country Brandenburg, Unit 23

Last update or date of publication