Residence permit for family reasons Extension for the spouse's reunification with foreigners

The residence permit for the re-entry of a spouse to foreigners is a temporary residence permit. You can apply for the renewal of your residence permit if you wish to stay in Germany and your spouse or civil partner in Germany holds a valid residence permit. In principle, the same conditions apply to the renewal of the residence permit as to the grant. In the event of renewal, your residence permit will be limited again. The residence permit is extended for the period of validity of the residence permit of the spouse or partner. As a rule, the residence permit cannot be renewed if this has already been excluded at the time of the issue or the last extension of the residence permit. If you were obliged to participate in an integration course when you first issued your residence permit, this will be taken into account when renewing your residence permit. If you have not yet taken part in an integration course, the immigration authority may reject your application for renewal of your residence permit. If you have not yet completed the integration course, the residence permit will in principle only be extended for one year at a time until you successfully complete it or prove that your integration into social and social life has taken place elsewhere.

Passport or passport replacement Current biometric photo Existing residence permits Proof of livelihood Proof of your health insurance lease In case of obligation to participate in the integration course: certificate of successful participation in the integration course or other evidence of integration efforts

Forms: You can obtain government-specific forms from your immigration authority, if necessary they are also offered online. Online procedure possible in some cases Written form required: yes Personal appearance required: yes

You have a recognised and valid passport or passport replacement as well as the valid residence permit for family reunification in accordance with Sections 29 and 30 of the Residence Act. The period of validity of your residence permit will expire in the near future. Your spouse/partner/life partner is in possession of a valid residence permit. There is no interest in expulsion against you. Your stay does not endanger or affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany Your livelihood is secured. There is sufficient living space for the whole family.
Section 8 (1) i.V. .m. Section 30 AufenthG

Related Links

You can also get free advice on the topics of entry, residence and work at the "Hotline Working and Living in Germany" from the Federal Government's portal for professionals from abroad. Phone: 030 1815-1111 Service hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

The renewal of your residence permit must be requested from the immigration authority responsible for your residence. Depending on the immigration authority and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out if your immigration authority offers the electronic application for a residence permit. If the application is only possible in person, arrange a preliminary appointment with the immigration authority. During the appointment, your request will be accepted and your evidence will be checked (please bring it with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the issuance of the electronic residence permit (eAT). In the event of an electronic application, the immigration authority will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to arrange a meeting at the immigration office. During the appointment, your evidence will be checked (please bring it with you to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the issuance of the eAT. If your request is met, the immigration authority will arrange for the eAT to be produced. After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT from the immigration office. Fees apply for the renewal of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority