Residence permit for the purpose of gainful employment Granted to researchers recognised as refugees or similar in another EU country

You can obtain a residence permit for the purpose of research if you are recognised as an internationally eligible person or an international beneficiary in an EU Member State and have resided in that State for at least two years after the granting of the protection permit. The residence permit for the purpose of research for international beneficiaries is a temporary residence permit. It shall be granted for the duration of the research project. The residence permit entitles the research institution designated in the host agreement to start research activities and to take up teaching activities. The changes to the research project during the stay do not lead to the abolition of this entitlement.

Valid passport Current biometric photo Visa, if required Proof of the status of the internationally entitled person in another EU Member State Proof of length of stay in the EU Member State, which is granted protection status Hosting agreement or a corresponding contract with a research institution to carry out the research project Proof of livelihood Proof of your health insurance Rental contract

You will receive specific forms for foreigners' authorities from your immigration authority, which may also be offered online. Online procedure possible in some cases Written form required: yes Personal appearance required: yes

You have a recognised and valid passport or passport replacement. There is no interest in expulsion against you. Your stay does not endanger or affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany. You have concluded a hosting agreement or a corresponding contract for the implementation of a research project with a research institution in Germany. You have the status of an internationally entitled person or an international beneficiary in another EU Member State where you have resided for at least 2 years after the granting of the protection right. A declaration of cost assumption by the research institution has been issued. In principle, the research institution must undertake in writing to cover costs, the public authorities up to six months after the termination of the hosting agreement or contract. This includes the cost of the foreigner's livelihood during an unauthorised stay in an EU Member State and for deportation. In certain cases, the cost assumption declaration is not required. Please contact your local authority for this. You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your income without taking advantage of public benefits.
Section 18d (6) AufenthG

Related Links

Free advice on the topics of entry, residence and work can also be obtained from the "Hotline Working and Living in Germany" from the federal government portal phone: 030 1815-1111 Service hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. List of recognised research institutions:

The residence permit must be applied for with the immigration authority responsible for your residence. The procedure is as follows: Depending on the immigration authority and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out if your immigration authority offers the electronic application for a residence permit. If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the immigration authority. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your evidence will be checked (bring it with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eAT card). In the event of an electronic application, the immigration authority will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the immigration office if necessary. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card). If your request is met, the immigration authority will arrange for the eAT card to be produced. After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card from the immigration office. The eAT card must always be taken up in person. Fees apply for the issue of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority The foreigners' authority of the district/district-free city is responsible in the state of Brandenburg.