Residence permit for the purpose of gainful employment Granted for employment as a civil servant with a German employer

If you are in a civil servant relationship with a German employer, you are entitled to a residence permit to fulfil your official duties in Germany. The residence permit can be obtained in particular by university lecturers and other employees of the scientific and artistic staff. The residence permit is issued for a period of three years, unless a shorter period is provided for your stay in Germany. Participation by the Federal Employment Agency is not required for the issuance of the residence permit. Under certain circumstances, you may be obliged by the Foreigners' Registration Office to participate in an integration course. This will then be noted on your residence permit. By obtaining a residence permit for the exercise of official duties with a German employer, you have the opportunity to obtain a permanent right of residence (settlement permit) after just three years. The requirement to have made contributions to the statutory pension insurance for at least 60 months is not required. German employers who wish to bring a foreign civil servant from abroad to Germany to fulfil their official duties can apply to the Foreigners' Registration Office for the accelerated skilled worker procedure under the authority of the foreigner, with which entry can be facilitated and accelerated. Union citizens who are in a civil servant relationship with a German employer are not to be applies to the Residence Act, but to the Freedom of Movement Act/EU.

Valid passport Original of your certificate of appointment/appointment Current biometric photo Proof of your health insurance lease In addition in the case of recent entry: Visa if required for entry as well as in the case of a previous stay: Current residence permit Further documents are required for the implementation of the accelerated specialist procedure. Please contact the competent immigration authority for this purpose.

Online procedure possible in isolated cases Written form required: yes Personal appearance required: yes

You have a recognised and valid passport or passport substitute and - if required for entry - a sappropriated visa. There is no interest in expulsion against you. Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany. They are in a civil servant relationship with a German employer and are intended to fulfil official duties in Germany.
Portal of the Federal Government for skilled workers from abroad Information on obtaining the settlement permit on the website of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (german): You can also get free advice on the topics of entry, residence and work at the "Hotline Working and Living in Germany" of the Federal Government portal for skilled workers from abroad. Phone: 030 1815-1111 Service hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

The residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows: Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit. In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you upon receipt of your application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your certificates will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). For the renewal of the electronic residence permit (eAT card), your fingerprints will be taken at the Foreigners' Registration Office. After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office. In principle, the collection must be made in person. Fees apply for issuing the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority. In order to carry out the accelerated skilled worker procedure, the German employer turns to the immigration authority responsible for the place of performance of the service. Under certain circumstances, a central office for the implementation of the procedure has been set up in the federal state. Responsible in the state of Brandenburg: the immigration authority of the district/district-free city

Responsible for the content
Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs
of the State of Brandenburg

Last update or date of publication