Residence permit for the purpose of gainful employment Grant for the purpose of employment in the case of qualified employment as a skilled worker with vocational training

As a specialist with vocational training, you can obtain a residence permit to pursue a qualified employment if you meet certain conditions for this.

You can obtain a residence permit for professionals with vocational training if you have completed qualified vocational training in Germany. Qualified vocational training exists if you have completed vocational training in a state-recognised or similarly regulated training occupation. The duration of the training must be at least two years. If you have completed your vocational training abroad, the equivalence of your qualification with the German, qualified vocational training must be determined by the competent recognition body (e.g. the Chamber of Commerce or Industry).

Before issuing the residence permit, the Federal Employment Agency must give its consent. This Federal Employment Agency examines whether the working conditions correspond to those of comparable German workers, whether you are in employment to which their qualifications make them capable and whether there is a domestic employment relationship.

If the residence permit is issued, it is limited in time. The validity depends on your employment contract or the period of validity of the approval of the Federal Employment Agency. In the case of permanent contracts of employment, residence permits for professionals are issued for a period of four years.

  • Valid passport
  • Current biometric photo
  • Original of your employment contract or a binding job offer (please use the nationwide uniform form Declaration on employment relationship )
  • Original of the certificate of successfully completed vocational training
  • Where available, decision on the determination of the equivalence of the foreign professional qualification with a domestic qualified vocational training
  • In the case of regulated professions: your professional admission
  • If necessary: Professional licence
  • Proof of your health insurance
  • Current registration certificate
  • Lease

In addition, in the case of recent entry:

  • Visa if required for entry

and in the case of a previous stay:

  • Current residence permit or other right of residence certificate (e.g. residence permit, toleration)
  • Forms: Declaration of employment (uniform throughout Germany); further government-specific forms can be obtained from your immigration authority, if necessary these will also be offered online
  • Online procedure possible in some cases
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance necessary: yes


  • You have a recognised and valid passport or passport replacement and, if necessary for entry, a suitable visa.
  • There is no interest in expulsion against you.
  • Your stay does not endanger or affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
  • You own
  • a domestic qualified vocational training or
  • equivalent foreign professional qualification
  • You have a qualification that enables you to pursue qualified employment. This means that you can also work in a related profession if there is a connection between the training and the intended activity (e.g. a baker can also work as a pastry chef).
  • You have a job or a job offer
    If you have reached the age of 45, you must prove an employment contract or a binding job offer with a certain minimum salary. The minimum salary must reach 55 percent of the annual contribution ceiling in the general pension insurance. This results in a minimum salary for 2020 of EUR 45 540 per year. Even if this minimum salary is not met, a residence permit may be issued upon presentation of proof of adequate pensions or in special cases (e.g. where there is a public interest in employment).
    The amount of the contribution ceiling will be announced for each year until 31 December of the previous year by the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Construction and Homeland in the Federal Gazette.

  • The Federal Employment Agency has agreed to take up work (the consent is usually obtained from the immigration authority). For consent, you must, among other things, Their working conditions (in particular salary) are comparable to those of a German employee in the same position.
  • If necessary, you have a professional licence.
  • You can secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage from your income without taking advantage of public benefits.

Section 18 Residence Act

Section 18a Residence Act

Section 39 Of residence law

Related Links

  • Residence law
  • Federal Government portal for skilled workers from abroad
  • You can also get free advice on the topics of entry, residence and work at the "Hotline Working and Living in Germany" from the Federal Government's portal for professionals from abroad.
    Phone: 030 1815-1111
    Service hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

The residence permit must be applied for with the immigration authority responsible for your residence. The procedure is as follows:

  • Depending on the immigration authority and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out if your immigration authority offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
  • If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the immigration authority. During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your evidence will be checked (bring it with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the production of an electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • In the event of an electronic application, the immigration authority will contact you after receipt of your online application in order to make an appointment at the immigration office if necessary. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (bring them to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the production of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
  • If your request is met, the immigration authority will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
  • After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card from the immigration office.
  • The eAT card must always be taken up in person.
  • Fees apply for the issue of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority.

Responsible in the state of Brandenburg is the immigration authority of the district / district-free city

Responsible for the content
Ministry of the Interior and Local Government
of the State of Brandenburg

Last update or date of publication