Residence permit for the purpose of gainful employment Extension for the purpose of employment in the public interest
You can apply for the extension of your residence permit to pursue an employment in which there is a public, in particular a regional, economic or labour market interest, if its validity ends soon.
The residence permit for the exercise of an employment in which there is a public, in particular a regional, economic or labour market interest, is granted for a limited period. It may be extended if employment is to continue beyond the period of validity of your residence permit.
Apply for the extension of your residence permit at least eight weeks before the expiry of the time limit at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence.
The same conditions apply to the renewal as to the grant. In particular, there should continue to be a public interest in your employment. A public interest in employment can be justified, for example,
- if there is a regional or supra-regional public interest in an employer's products or services or if there is an undersupply of certain goods or services at the employer's location (regional interests). Supply or local political reasons can also play a role here.
- where significant investments and/or a significant number of jobs are created or secured; if the establishment of a company is associated with a sustainable improvement in the sales or market opportunities of domestic companies or if it involves the establishment of a manufacturing plant for technically high-quality (future-proof) and/or particularly environmentally friendly products (economic interests).
- if employment preserves or creates jobs (labour market policy interests).
The private, operational interest of an employer alone is not sufficient to establish a public interest in employment.
Your qualification is not decisive for the extension of your residence permit.
When you issued your residence permit for the first time, the Federal Employment Agency gave your consent. If the validity of the consent has expired, it must be reissed for the renewal of your residence permit.
Under certain circumstances, you were obliged to participate in an integration course when you first issued your residence permit. If this is the case, this must be taken into account when extending your residence permit. If you have not yet taken part in an integration course, the Foreigners' Registration Office may reject your application for an extension of the residence permit. If you have not yet completed the integration course, the residence permit will only be extended by one year until you successfully complete it or provide proof that your integration into social life has taken place elsewhere.
In the event of an extension, your residence permit will again be limited in time. The duration of the fixed-term contract depends on the duration of your employment contract or the period of validity of the consent of the Federal Employment Agency.
As a rule, the residence permit cannot be extended if this has already been ruled out when the residence permit was issued or last extended.
- Valid passport
- Current residence permit
Original of your employment contract or a binding job offer (please use the nationwide uniform form
Declaration of Employment Relationship)
- Current biometric photo
- Current registration certificate
- Proof of your health insurance
Declaration of employment (uniformnationwide); further authority-specific forms can be obtained from your immigration office, if necessary these are also offered online
- Online procedure possible in isolated cases
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance necessary: yes
- You have a recognised and valid passport or passport substitute as well as a valid residence permit to work in the public interest.
- The validity period of your residence permit will expire in the near future.
- There is no interest in expulsion against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or adversely affect the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- You have a new employment contract or a new binding job offer with the same or another employer.
- There is still a public, in particular a regional, economic or labour market interest in your employment.
- You can continue to secure your livelihood and health insurance coverage independently without using public services.
- The approval of the Federal Employment Agency for the commencement of work has been obtained or has been renewed (the consent is usually obtained from the Foreigners' Registration Office). For the consent must, among other things: Their working conditions (in particular salary) are comparable to those of a German employee in the same position.
§ 8 Abs. 1 i.V.m. § 19c Abs. 3 AufenthG
§ 19c paragraph 3 Residence Act (AufenthG)
§ 39 paragraph 3 Residence Act (AufenthG)
§ 35 Employment Ordinance (BeschV)
You can also get free advice on the topics of entry, residence and work at the "Hotline Working and Living in Germany" of the Federal Government portal for skilled workers from abroad.
Phone: 030 1815-1111
Service hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The extension of your residence permit must be applied for at the immigration authority responsible for your place of residence. The procedure is as follows:
- Depending on the foreigners' registration office and concerns, it may be possible to apply via the Internet. Find out whether your immigration office offers the electronic application for a residence permit.
- If the application is only possible in person, make an appointment with the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- During the appointment, your application will be accepted and your proofs will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment). Your fingerprints will be taken for the renewal of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- In the event of an electronic application, the Foreigners' Registration Office will contact you upon receipt of your application in order to make an appointment at the Foreigners' Registration Office. During the appointment, your proofs will be checked (bring them with you to the appointment) and your fingerprints will be taken for the renewal of the electronic residence permit (eAT card).
- If your application is granted, the Foreigners' Registration Office will arrange for the eAT card to be produced.
- After about six to eight weeks, you can pick up the eAT card at the Foreigners' Registration Office.
- The eAT card must always be collected in person.
- Fees apply for the extension of the residence permit. The timing and form of payment vary depending on the authority
: Responsible in the state of Brandenburg is the immigration authority of the district/district-free city
Responsible for the content
Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs
of the State of Brandenburg
Last update or date of publication