Evening secondary school admission

If you want to obtain a secondary school leaving certificate as an adult and are not working, then you can apply to a secondary school.

Working people who subsequently want to acquire a higher school leaving certificate can regularly take advantage of educational opportunities at schools of the Second Way of Education (ZBW) or locations with school-leaving qualification-related courses in various ways. Those who work at the time of taking up classes attend evening classes part-time, with a slightly reduced course. Part-time school-leaving courses are offered in lower secondary education and lower secondary education. Those who are not working attend a full-time course for upper secondary education. The duration of the course depends on the desired school leaving certificate and the existing school education. Participation is mandatory for lessons. The absence is only excused if there are valid reasons. For teaching at institutions of the Second Educational Path, the school holidays apply to the state of Brandenburg. The degrees of the second educational path are recognized in all Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany.

The following degrees can be obtained:

  • Lower secondary school leaving certificate/vocational training maturity (completion of year 9) and extended lower secondary school leaving certificate/extended vocational training maturity (completion of year 10)
  • Realschulabschluss/Fachoberschulreife (completion of year 10), school part of the Fachhochschulreife (leaving after year 12)
  • general university entrance qualification (Abitur; Grade 13)

The full-time course is aimed at non-employed persons. The lessons therefore take place during the day. The qualifications can be obtained as:

  • school part of the Fachhochschulreife (leaving after the year of general university entrance qualification (Abitur; Grade 13)

Anyone who cannot or does not want to attend a school regularly and aspires to the Fachoberschulreife (middle school leaving certificate) or the Fachhochschulreife can participate in the Telekolleg. Without attending a school institution, school-leaving certificates can also be acquired exclusively through a so-called non-student examination.

  • informal application,
  • completed application for admission,
  • signed tabular CV,
  • certified copy of the last certificate or original for presentation,
  • Proof of employment
  • certified copy of the berufsabschluss certificate or original for the presentation or proof of a two-year professional activity (only for the Abitur course)


In the course of training for the subsequent acquisition of the fachoberschulreife, it can be included who

  • has reached the age of 18,
  • is working or has worked for at least six months, and
  • can prove the lower secondary school leaving certificate/vocational training maturity or an equivalent degree or has fulfilled the full-time compulsory schooling.

A professional activity is also considered to be a marginally remunerated employment according to § 8 paragraph 1 number 1 of the Fourth Book of the Social Code. Periods of military or civilian service, periods under the Youth Voluntary Service Act or the Federal Voluntary Service Act are recognized. The management of a family household is on an equal footing with professional activity. Unemployment proven by a certificate issued by the employment agencies can be taken into account for up to three months. In individual cases, applicants who, due to special biographical circumstances, are unable to improve their chances of access to vocational training or qualifying professional practice without access to the second path of education may waive the admission requirements in point 2, as long as this does not change the orientation of a course tailored to students with professional experience as such.

Related Links

  • Ordinance on Second Pathway Programmes (ZBW Ordinance - ZBWV)

Related Links

  • https://mbjs.brandenburg.de/bildung/lebenslanges-lernen/zweiter-bildungsweg.html

Application at the beginning of the school year at a school of the second way of education

Responsible for the content
Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport
Unit 33

Last update or date of publication