Certificates of foreign university qualifications Assessment

If you have obtained a university qualification abroad, you can have your university qualification assessed for the exercise of an unregulated profession. The certificate assessment describes your foreign university qualification, determines with which German educational qualification your university degree is comparable and certifies your professional and academic uses. It is intended to make it easier for you to enter the German labour market. However, you cannot derive legal claims from the certificate evaluation. Attention: The certificate evaluation is not an acknowledgement, but a comparative classification. Mandatory recognition is particularly necessary if you domiciled in Germany, and want to pursue a regulated profession.

Forms: Application form Online procedure possible: partially Written form required: yes Personal appearance necessary: no

Your university degree must meet the following requirements in order to be assessed: The diplomas must be officially certified. The degree must have been obtained from an institution recognised as a higher education institution according to the relevant criteria of the country of origin. In the case of degrees within the framework of cross-border cooperation or with the participation of several universities (so-called franchising), all participating institutions must be duly recognised or accredited as a higher education institution in accordance with the law of the country of origin. The quality of the degree must meet the requirements of all the countries involved in the cooperation and be compatible with the higher education legislation of these countries. In the case of degrees from countries where accreditation of courses is required, the degree programme must be accredited.

The ZAB issues certificate ratings for university degrees from all countries of the world. The ZAB does not issue certificates for unfinished higher education and for non-higher education. Note: No certificate evaluations are issued for school certificates.
"Convention on the Recognition of Qualifications in Higher Education in the European Region" (so-called Lisbon Convention ) of 11.04.1997, entered into force on 01.10.2007. The Länder of the Federal Republic of Germany have entrusted the ZAB with this task.

Apply for evaluation using the form of the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB). It will be sent to you by e-mail after you have completed and submitted a web form online. Since the further procedure may vary depending on your country of origin, please check with the Central Office for Foreign Education in detail beforehand. The certificate assessment specifies the level of the German educational qualification with which your foreign degree is comparable, and also informs about the possibilities of continuing your studies, the legal bases of the grading and the procedures for professional recognition. The certificate evaluation is available after: Your application has been fully completed by the competent body, there are all the necessary documents and you have paid the fees. The certificate is issued in a short version and in a long version, which you will receive together. The abstract is intended as a supplement to your application documents and is intended to inform the employer or employment agency at a glance which German qualification corresponds to your foreign university degree. You can use the long version whenever more extensive information is required.

Responsible for the content
Ministry of Science, Research and Culture of the State of Brandenburg

Last update or date of publication