Certificates of Foreign Higher Education Qualifications Assessment
For holders of a foreign university degree, the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) issues an individual certificate assessment on request.
If you have obtained a higher education qualification abroad, you can have your higher education qualification assessed with a view to practising an unregulated profession. The assessment of certificates
- describes your foreign university qualification,
- determines with which German educational qualification your university degree is comparable and
- certifies your professional and academic uses.
It is intended to make it easier for you to enter the German labour market. However, you cannot derive any legal claims from the certificate evaluation.
Attention: The assessment of certificates is not recognition, but a comparative classification.
Binding recognition is particularly necessary if you
- have a place of residence in Germany and
- wish to pursue a regulated profession.
A list of the required documents can be found on the website of the responsible body.
Forms: Application form
Online procedure possible: partial
Written form required: yes
Personal appearance required: no
Your university degree must meet the following requirements in order to be assessed:
- The diplomas must be officially certified.
- The degree must have been obtained at an institution that is recognised as a higher education institution according to the relevant criteria of the country of origin.
- In the case of degrees within the framework of cross-border cooperation or with the participation of several universities (so-called franchising), all participating institutions must be duly recognised or accredited as a university in accordance with the law of the country of origin. The quality of the degree must meet the requirements of all countries involved in the cooperation and be compatible with the higher education regulations of these countries.
- For degrees from countries where accreditation of degree programs is required, the completed degree program must be accredited.
The ZAB issues certificate evaluations for university degrees from all countries of the world.
ZAB does not issue certificates for unfinished higher education or for training that is not part of the higher education sector.
Note: No certificate evaluations are issued for school certificates.
"Convention on the Recognition of Qualifications in Higher Education in the European Region" (so-called "Convention on the Recognition of Qualifications in Higher Education in the European Region" (so-called "Convention on the Recognition of Qualifications in Higher Education in the European Region" (so-
The Länder of the Federal Republic of Germany have entrusted ZAB with this task.
Central Office for Foreign Education at the Secretariat of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder (ZAB)
Apply for the assessment using the form of the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB). It will be sent to you by e-mail after you have completed and submitted a web form online.
Since the further procedure may vary depending on your country of origin, you should inform yourself in detail in advance at the Central Office for Foreign Education.
The certificate assessment indicates the level of the German educational qualification with which your foreign degree is comparable and also provides information on possibilities for continuing your studies, on the legal bases for leading the degree and on the procedures for professional recognition.
You will receive the certificate evaluation after:
- your application has been received by the competent authority in full,
- all necessary documents are available there and
- You have paid the fees.
The certificate will be issued in a short version and in a long version, which you will receive together.
The short version is intended as a supplement to your application documents and is intended to inform the employer or the employment agency at a glance which German qualification your foreign university degree corresponds to.
You can use the long version whenever more extensive information is required.
Responsible for the content
Ministry of Science, Research and Culture of the State of Brandenburg
Last update or date of publication