Interruption of studies Leave of absence

Students who are prevented from studying properly for important reasons can be placed on leave for a limited period of time.

If you want to interrupt your studies for private, health, financial or other reasons, this must be approved by your university.

You will remain enrolled at your university during this time.

Leave of absence should be enabled to complete study and examination achievements at the university from which the leave of absence has been granted. As a rule, the application for a leave of absence must be submitted at the beginning of the semester. In case of illness or other serious reasons, this can also be done in the current semester , but at the latest by the end of the lecture period .

As a rule, there is no leave of absence in the first semester.

A retroactive leave of absence for already expired semesters is not possible.

If necessary, you must enclose appropriate evidence of the reason for the interruption with your application. These can be, for example:

  • Internship contract
  • Admission to study abroad
  • Medical certificate of foreseeable ability to study
  • Birth certificate of the child

Forms: Application form
Online procedure possible: partial
Written form required: yes
Personal appearance required: no


Reasons for which the leave of absence is usually authorised:

  • Study abroad
  • prolonged illness
  • Volunteer
  • Care or care of a relative (spouse, relative in the direct line, first-degree in-law)
  • Maternity leave, parental leave
  • Start of an internship that serves the study goal
  • Company Formation
  • Activity in academic or student self-administration
  • Custodial sentence to be served
    You can discuss other important reasons in an interview with your university.

Note: In order to agree to a leave of absence, depending on the type of university and the course of study you are attending, different requirements must be met and documents must be proven. Further information can be found in the online offer of your university or in the student advisory service.


You should definitely check the effects of a leave of absence on scholarships/student support, insurance contributions, tax allowances, child benefit, allowances, etc. The statutory health insurance should remain in place during a leave of absence. BAföG payments are not made during a leave of absence, unless it is the BAföG abroad. Anyone who works during the semester off is fully subject to social security contributions.

Enrolment regulations of the respective university

Related Links

  • Brandenburg Higher Education Act (BbgHG)

Related Links

  • University of Potsdam
  • BTU Cottbus
  • European University Viadrina
  • University of Applied Sciences Potsdam (FHP)
  • Brandenburg University of Applied Sciences (THB)
  • University of Applied Sciences for Sustainable Development Eberswalde (HNEE)
  • Wildau University of Applied Sciences

The leave of absence must be made in writing to your university (usually to the secretariat of the department responsible for you). A statement of reasons and, where appropriate, evidence thereof shall be attached to the application. Forms or online forms can be obtained from the responsible office or are available for download.

The leave of absence is only for a full semester . It can be extended by another semester if the reason for leave of absence still exists. A repeated leave of absence may be possible.

The director of the degree programme decides on the approval. You will receive a written notification of this. A positive decision contains the reason for the leave, the duration of the leave of absence and the last semester for which you were enrolled.

As usual, you will receive a certificate of enrolment for the leave of absence.

Participation in courses is often not possible during the leave of absence (possible exceptions: leave of absence due to maternity leave / parental leave and / or care of close relatives).

The application for leave of absence can be withdrawn by informal written declaration until the end of the lecture period of the semester for which the leave of absence was issued.

Responsible for the content
Ministry of Science, Research and Culture of the State of Brandenburg

Last update or date of publication