Compensation under the Infection Protection Act Granting of compensation for loss of earnings of persons entitled to custody

Your child is affected by a school or daycare closure and you can therefore no longer work? Find out here how you will be reimbursed for the loss of earnings.

Employed custodians are entitled to compensation for their loss of earnings if schools or day-care centres have been closed for reasons of infection and they ensure the care of their child or children themselves. Children must not have reached the age of 12. This age restriction does not apply to disabled children. The claim also applies to foster children.

Compensation depends on your earnings.

Compensation is granted for a maximum closing period of 6 weeks. It amounts to 67% of your net earnings, for a full month a maximum of 2,016 euros.

If the facility would close anyway due to holidays, this regulation does not apply in principle.

If you have concluded a care contract with a day care centre, you are also entitled to compensation during the school holidays.

Before you receive this compensation, you must exhaust all other reasonable care options. These are, for example.B. childcare by family members or friends, home office, reduction of time credits or holidays.

Care by so-called "risk groups" should be avoided. These include mainly the elderly or people with pre-existing conditions.

In the case of short-time work, there is no entitlement to compensation.

The following applies to employees:

Your employer will pay you the compensation for the duration  of the closure period, for a maximum of 6 weeks. The employer will be reimbursed for the amounts paid out by the competent authority.

Therefore, inform your employer immediately about your childcare situation so that they can apply for compensation. If your employer (especially smaller companies) cannot make advance payments, advances in the estimated amount of the reimbursement amount can be requested.

In exceptional cases, you can submit the application for compensation yourself.

The following applies to employers:

You must pay the compensation to your employees for the duration of the closure period, for a maximum of 6 weeks (advance payment). They may have the amounts paid reimbursed by the competent authority.

Contributions to pension, long-term care and health insurance can also be reimbursed to you.

You can also apply for an advance.

The following applies to the self-employed:

You will receive the refund directly from the competent authority.

For the calculation of the loss of earnings, your last annual profit is taken into account. This is divided by 12.

Contributions to pension, long-term care and health insurance can also be reimbursed. 

You can also apply for an advance.

The following applies to homeworkers:

Unlike the self-employed, your average monthly income is taken into account for the calculation. 

For employees:

  • Application (your employer submits this online for you)
  • In any case, employers must attach the statements of compensation for the employees concerned as an attachment.

For the self-employed:

  • Application (online)
  • The last income tax assessment or a certificate from the commissioned tax office on the amount of the loss of earnings serves as proof for self-employed persons. 

Related Links

  • Infoportal IfSG Home (


Parents are entitled to compensation for their loss of earnings due to childcare if: 

  • You take care of your child(ren) yourself due to the closure of a care facility or school by authorities
  • And your child is younger than 12 years old or has a disability and needs help
  • And you have a loss of earnings
  • And you have custody of that child
  • And you have no other reasonable care option.


Online only

Related Links

  • ยง 56 paragraph 1a Act on the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases in Humans (Infection Protection Act - IfSG)

Related Links

  • Loss of earnings IfSG | LASV (

The compensation procedure shall be carried out by the competent authority. Employers and the self-employed submit applications, employees can only submit applications in exceptional cases.

The payment is instructed by the competent authority and is made directly to the account details provided by the applicant. Applicants will receive a notification of this.

Responsible for the content
Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Integration of the State of Saxony-Anhalt

Last update or date of publication