Residence Registration

Anyone who moves into an apartment must register with the registration office of their place of residence within two weeks of moving in.

Anyone who moves into an apartment must register or re-register with the responsible registration authority within two weeks of moving in. In this case, you do not need to deregister from your previous registration office.

  • Identity card or passport as proof of identity and to change the apartment details
  • Landlord's confirmation

In the case of joint registration of family members, it is sufficient if one of the persons subject to the reporting obligation appears in person at the registration authority. Bring along:

  • Identity documents of all persons concerned
  • Power of attorney(s) upon co-registration

o of the unmarried partner

o of adult children


Personal appearance (substitution possible):

You can only hand in the registration on site. You can also be represented by another person if you give that person a power of attorney.


If the registration is not made in time within two weeks of moving in, this can be punished as an administrative offence with a fine.

Please comply with your reporting obligation to avoid unnecessary problems and trouble. If you do not comply with your reporting obligation or do not comply with it in time, problems arise, for example, with vehicle registration, obtaining a driver's license or applying for a certificate of good conduct. In addition, your identity card and, if necessary, your motor vehicle registration document must also be changed.

Related Links

  • § 17 paragraph 1 Federal Registration Act (BMG)
  • § 23 Federal Registration Act (BMG)
  • Brandenburg Registration Act

Within two weeks of moving in, you must register with the competent registration authority. The application is usually processed immediately upon submission of the required documents.

Responsible for the content
Ministry of the Interior and Municipal Affairs,
Unit 23

Last update or date of publication