Setting up gaming machines

If you want to set up play equipment with the possibility of winning on a commercial basis, you need a permit according to § 33c Gewerbeordnung

With a permit to set up gambling machines with the possibility of winning, you can set up gambling machines throughout Germany. Each installation site must be permitted individually by the competent authority. Gambling machines may only be set up if all you have all the necessary permits.

  • Certificate in tax matters of the tax office
    (to be applied for at the tax office of the place of residence)

  • Identity card or passport with a current registration certificate
    (in the case of representation with written power of attorney: identity card or passport of the authorized representative, as well as copy of the identity card of the power of attorney)

  • Certificate of good conduct in document type OG (for submission to an authority)
    (to be applied for at the local registration authority responsible for your place of residence)
  • Information from the insolvency court as to whether proceedings have been opened
    (to be applied for at the district court of the place of residence)
  • Information from the Central Trade Register in document type 9
  • Completed application form
  • Certificate of information in players and protection of minors
    (According to § 33c of the Trade Code, a certificate from the Chamber of Industry and Commerce must be used to prove that one has been instructed in the knowledge necessary for the exercise of the trade.)
  • Social concept
    (According to § 33c Abs. 2 Gewerbeordnung, a social concept must be submitted for a permit to set up playground equipment with the possibility of winning. The social concept describes which measures are to be taken to prevent the socially harmful effects of gambling.)
  • Extract from the commercial register or, in the case of legal entities still in the process of being founded, certificate of incorporation and shareholders' agreement

Application form


  • A permit according to § 33c Gewerbeordnung requires your reliability under trade law. The reliability is checked by the authority when applying.

Related Links

  • § 33c paragraph 1 Of the Industrial Code (GewO)
  • First, you must obtain all the necessary documents and submit them to the authority with the written application.
  • The authority checks your reliability under commercial law
  • If all requirements are met, you will receive permission with a fee notice.

Responsible for the content
Senator for Economics, Labour and Europe of the State of Bremen

Last update or date of publication