Permission for the temporary exercise of medical psychotherapy
You can apply for permission to temporarily practice medical psychotherapy at the State Office for Occupational Safety, Consumer Protection and Health (LAVG).
The activity as a psychological psychotherapist or child and adolescent psychotherapist / child and adolescent psychotherapist is regulated in Germany by precise regulations. This means that in order for you to be able to work in Germany in the profession of psychological psychotherapy or child and adolescent psychotherapy, you need a license to practice medicine or a temporary permit to practice the profession. Then you can also get permission to temporarily practice medical psychotherapy.
Permission to temporarily practice medical psychotherapy is required to practice the profession. It must be applied for.
The LAVG tells you which documents you need to submit. Important documents are generally:
- Proof of identity (for example, your passport or identity card)
- if your name is changed: marriage certificate
- Curriculum vitae in tabular form and in German (list of your training courses and professional experience)
- Proof of your professional qualification (certificate, detailed overview of subjects and hours on theory and practice, Diploma Supplement)
- Certificate that you are allowed to work in your training state as a psychological psychotherapist or child and adolescent psychotherapist
- Proof of your professional experience (e.g. certificates from employers)
- Proof of your other qualifications (e.g. further vocational training, courses, seminars)
- Registration certificate or proof that you want to work in the state where you are applying
- a written declaration as to whether and to which body you have already submitted an application for a declaration of equivalence. If available, also the received notification
- Proof of your German language skills
Proof of your personal suitability:
- official certificate of good conduct of a German authority. Another name for the official certificate of good conduct is "Certificate of Good Conduct Document Type O".
In Germany, you can obtain the certificate of good conduct from your residents' registration office or citizens' office. As a rule, the official certificate of good conduct should be a maximum of 3 months old when it is presented.
Likewise, a certificate from an authority in your home country: for example, an extract from the criminal record
- a Certificate of Good Standing
- a signed declaration that no legal proceedings are ongoing against you and that you are not being investigated
- Proof of fitness for health: A medical certificate or a medical certificate of your health. The proof may not be more than 3 months old when you submit the application.
The LAVG will inform you which documents you must submit in the original or as a copy.
You must submit your documents in German. This often means that your documents need to be translated. Translations must be carried out by translators who have been publicly appointed or authorised.
Online procedure possible: no
Written form required: yes
Personal appearance required: no
Proof of health suitability to practise the profession (medical certificate) (not older than 3 months)
- completed training in the profession of psychological psychotherapy or child and adolescent psychotherapy,
- health suitability,
- Proof of good repute and assessment of the exercise of the profession
- Sufficient knowledge of German at level C 2
- Proof of jurisdiction
§ 1 Psychotherapeutengesetz (PsychThG)
§ 4 Psychotherapeutengesetz (PsychThG)
Information on the recognition of foreign professional qualifications can be found on "Recognition in Germany"
Information on the recognition of foreign professional qualifications on the BQ portal
Financial assistance in the recognition procedure
About the Point of Single Contact
Point of Single Contact in Germany
Publicly appointed translators in Germany
The procedure may vary from one federal state to another. In most federal states, the procedure is as follows:
You can apply for permission to temporarily practice medical psychotherapy in writing:
- Submit your application together with the necessary documents to the LAVG.
- LAVG then checks whether you meet all the requirements according to § 4 of the Act on the Professions of Psychological Psychotherapist and Child and Adolescent Psychotherapist.
- LAVG states its decision in writing in a decision.
- You can take legal action against the LAVG's decision.
The decision is then reviewed. Details can be found in the notice of appeal at the end of the decision.
Responsible for the content
Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Integration and Consumer Protection
Last update or date of publication